The EU probably will defer until next year its plan to drop its Tiananmen-era embargo on arms sales to China, as the union wrestles with ways to strengthen its Code of Conduct dealing with arms sales sales worldwide, expert panelists at a symposium in Washington said on Tuesday.
Any decision to lift the embargo has to be by unanimous consensus, noted David Shambaugh, head of the China Policy Program at George Washington University's School of International Affairs.
`Holding Out'
At least six EU member states -- the Nordic Countries, Ireland and Poland, however, are "holding out," which is sufficient to block a lifting of the embargo, he said.
In addition to the Netherlands, Germany and the European Parliament have recently issued strong resolutions against lifting the embargo.
Shambaugh said that the question has become a domestic issue in several countries.
"These are democracies, after all," he said.
Dieter Dettke, a former German parliamentarian and foreign ministry official, agreed with Shambaugh. He said it would "take some time" for all the countries to agree to end the ban on China arms sales, which Beijing would certainly use against Taiwan or against a US force sent to the area to defend Taiwan in case of a military attack by China.
Disagreement
However, another panelist, Robin Niblett from the Center for Strategic and International Studies, based in Washington, disagreed. He said he felt the odds are 65-35 that the embargo would be lifted this year, saying the countries are working "day in and day out" to work out a way to lift the ban.
In any event, some panelists wondered whether the lifting of the ban would have as big an impact as some seem to think. The embargo itself is voluntary, and there has been a substantial amount of "leakage" since the it was imposed in 1989 in the wake of the Tiananmen massacre.
EU already selling
Dettke said that last year, 2.7 percent of China's arms imports came from the EU. And Richard Fisher, vice president of the International Strategy and Assessment Center and a recognized expert on China's military, outlined a long list of advanced military technology various EU countries have provided to China in recent years.
Panelists urged US President George W. Bush, whose administration is strongly supportive of the embargo, to urge EU nations to retain it during his upcoming trip to Europe.
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is also expected to bring up the issue during a trip to Europe this week, in which she will visit seven capitals.
Code of Conduct
All panelists agreed that before the ban is eliminated, the EU should strengthen the Code of Conduct on international arms sales adopted after Tiananmen. That code is voluntary and needs to be changed to clarify what arms and technology cannot be sold to China, they said.
Deliberations in Europe on the code center on eight new criteria for the transfer of arms and technology. Three of these would be of particular interest to Taiwan, Shambaugh said.
These are human rights, commitments to the regional security environment and the national security of allied states -- mainly the US.
In order to assure controls on the sales by member states of arms and military technology to China, Dettka said, the Code of Conduct must be made binding on all EU nations.
What remains unclear, however, is whether the European countries would have the will to accomplish this, the panelists seemed to indicate.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as