President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) said on Tuesday that Taiwan offered to assist with the Central American country's plan to widen the Panama Canal.
Chen made the remarks during a meeting with the Panamanian president-elect, Martin Torrijos, who was sworn in yesterday.
Chen said that trade between Taiwan and Panama hit US$140 million in the first six months after the FTA took effect on Jan. 1 this year, with Panama's exports to Taiwan increasing five times during the same period.
Chen said the amount has surpassed the total trade volume of last year, which he said shows that the FTA is very helpful to the development of bilateral trade and economic ties.
Taiwan enterprises now maintain investments worth US$1 billion in Panama, the president said.
In addition, Chen said Taiwan is willing to assist with Panama's plan to widen the Panama Canal because it is important to many Taiwanese businesses including Evergreen Marine Co and Yang Ming Marine Transport.
But Torrijos said the plan, which was one of his campaign promises, has yet to be finalized because of the controversial nature of the project.
Torrijos said a referendum might be held to let the people decide whether to go ahead with the expansion.
Chen on Tuesday also called for closer bilateral ties between Taiwan and Brazil, particularly in business and trade exchanges, while meeting with Brazilian Vice President Jose Alencar unexpectedly on Tuesday evening at the same hotel where the two dignitaries were staying.
For his part, Alencar told Chen that he has for long had great admiration for Taiwan's democratization and economic prowess. Alencar said he has been told by Valdemar Costa, head of the Liberal Party of Brazil, who was with him at the hotel, that he came away with a high regard for Taiwan after visiting the country earlier this year.
Costa, the No. 2 Brazilian delegate to President-elect Martin Torrijos' inauguration, said he visited Taiwan in March of this year, prior to the country's presidential election and met with Chen. He said he was highly impressed with what he saw in Taiwan.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and