The US welcomed the cessation of military exercises by Taiwan and China Tuesday, but declined to comment on reports that the actions by Taipei and Beijing were the result of US intervention.
State Department spokesman Richard Boucher told reporters that "we welcome and encourage all these steps that are being taken by Taiwan and the People's Republic of China to reduce tensions."
But, asked whether Washington requested either country to scrub the exercises, Boucher said only, "For further information on that, you'd have to check with the Taiwan authorities."
"We have consistently encouraged both sides to take steps to resolve differences, to engage in dialogue, and to take steps to reduce tensions," Boucher said in response to questions at his daily press briefing.
President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) announced the cancelation of the annual Han Kuang military exercises after receiving word that China had pulled troops, planes and ships from Dongshan Island off the China coast, where they had been massing in preparation for annual Chinese military exercises.
Chinese media had said the exercises were planned to practice invading an island, which the government had taken as a provocative move to express displeasure with Chen's constitutional plans.
Chen made the announcement on his plane as he left for a trip to Latin America with stopovers in Hawaii and Seattle. Meanwhile, Boucher said there are no plans for US Secretary of State Colin Powell to meet with Chen in Panama, where both were to attend the inauguration of president-elect Marin Torrijo yesterday.
Boucher conceded that both Powell and Chen will both be at the same event, but added that "there is no meeting planned."
For Powell and Chen, the event will be a reminder of the date in November lsat year when both were in Panama to celebrate the 100th anniversary of that country's independence.
At one event, as Powell was in deep conversation with actor Sean Connery, a Taiwan supporter, Chen tapped Powell on the shoulder, introduced himself and shook his hand.
Powell and Chen then held a brief conversation that dealt with "pleasantries," according to one report.
The US state department later reported that "they exchanged greetings. There were no official meetings scheduled between the two, and none took place."
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and