US President George W. Bush on Friday telephoned Chinese President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤) to discuss tensions with Taiwan and the North Korean nuclear crisis, said White House spokesman Scott McClellan.
The two leaders "reaffirmed their commitment to work together on the issue of North Korea and their nuclear weapons program," the spokesman said as Bush traveled here for a stop on his reelection campaign.
And Bush told Hu that US policy towards Taiwan "remains the same," based on the "one-China" policy but also on US legislation that requires Washington to provide Taipei with weaponry for self-defense, McClellan said.
Hu said China would "exert its utmost efforts with its utmost sincerity to resolve the Taiwan issue by peaceful means", the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
However, Beijing would never tolerate "the independence of Taiwan," Hu added.
The Chinese leader also reiterated China's opposition to US sales of sophisticated weapons to Taiwan, saying that the current situation across the Taiwan Strait was very sensitive.
Washington urged Beijing and Taipei earlier this month to ensure that military exercises they are conducting this month are not provocative and do not add to cross-strait tension.
During the call, Bush "talked about the importance of our relationship with China, as well," said McClellan.
China is North Korea's closest ally and host of six-party negotiations to resolve the issue. It has called for Washington and Pyongyang to show more mutual trust.
The United States has told China there is no change in its demand that all Pyongyang's nuclear programs be addressed in the search for a resolution to the nuclear standoff, the US embassy in Beijing said Friday.
US envoy Joseph DeTrani conveyed the message to China's pointman on North Korea Ning Fukui in talks described as "in-depth" by Beijing.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as