The US has helped conduct a computer-simulated war-game that pitted Taiwan's military against invading Chinese forces, officials said yesterday.
About 60 US military experts and officers monitored the six-day exercise as part of the close military cooperation between the US and Taiwan, Minister of National Defense Lee Jye (
Lee didn't give details of the exercise, which ended Saturday.
According to a local newspaper, however, the game involved a Chinese missile attack while Taiwanese F-16 fighter jets fired US-made AIM-120 mid-range missiles at Chinese Su-30s.
The newspaper report added that the Americans trained Taiwanese officers to use the US-designed computer system in preparation for a joint US-Taiwan simulated war game next year.
This will be the first of its kind involving US troops in a simulated cross-strait conflict.
Beijing did not immediately respond to the latest exercise.
Meanwhile, Vice Minister of National Defense Tsai Ming-hsien (
"Peace in the Asian-Pacific region is not a matter of concern to Taiwan and the United States only," Tsai said. "Japan and other Asian countries are also concerned."
In related news, the military will hold annual exercises in August to test combat readiness in the face of what Lee said yesterday was a significantly higher likelihood China would use force to invade the country.
"The likelihood of using force against us has increased significantly," Lee, who took office last month, told reporters.
"In recent years, communist China has injected a large sum of money into its defense budget and is rapidly expanding its military," Lee said.
"It is likely to become a regional hegemon," he added.
The US has said China acquired more sophisticated missiles, satellite-disrupting lasers and underground facilities in an aggressive military build-up last year aimed at winning a possible conflict with Taiwan.
Lee called for support for an US$18 billion special budget to buy Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) anti-missile systems, submarines and anti-submarine aircraft.
He said he would resign if an arms package offered by US President George W. Bush in 2001 was rejected by the legislature.
Lee also said the air force will practice emergency landing on a freeway for the first time in 25 years.
The scenario of the drill is that Taiwan's airports may be destroyed should war break out with China, and that freeways may have to be used for emergency landings.
Lee said the drills would take place between late July and early August.
Several kilometers of the freeway have been repaired and a section will be shut down for half a day, defense ministry sources said.
Chief of the General Staff General Li Tien-yu (
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as