President Chen Shui-bian's (
Wang is slated to propose changes to party regulations at the DPP's July 18 National Congress meeting. The proposed changes would restrict party members from participating in factional activities and would provide penalties for failing to comply. All existing party factions would have to disband within three months of the passage of Wang's draft regulation.
The draft has won the endorsement of at least 57 DPP lawmakers from across factions, including New Tide Faction Legislators Chen Chin-chun (陳景峻), Julian Kuo (郭正亮) and Yeh Yi-jin (葉宜津) -- and has also gained the support of some 400 representatives to the party congress.
historical residue
Wang's proposal came in the wake of Chen's call last week for DPP government and party officials to cease participating in factional activities in order to maintain administrative neutrality and to rid the party of the entrenched factionalism it suffers from.
The new regulations would prohibit maintaining faction offices, holding faction meetings, recruiting members and charging membership fees. Party members who organized factional activities would be suspended from the party for two years, while those who participated in factional activities would face a one-year suspension. The regulations would also prohibit factions from operating as foundations or social groups.
New Tide Faction Legislator Julian Kuo, who supports the proposed regulations, said that factions were the historical residue of personal connections and were not based on the bonds of ideals. Kuo said that such organizations are harmful to the development of a modern political party.
"Most of the current factions only function to distribute party resources or influence internal party elections, which is very unhealthy for the party's development. The factions should be dissolved, and then new factions could be established based on shared beliefs," Kuo said.
Factionalism has long dominated the DPP's operations, particularly in the distribution of party resources and party positions -- including positions as chief of party departments and memberships in the Central Standing Committee, Central Executive Committee and Central Review Committee.
Even the heads of the DPP legislative caucuses have been chosen by factions. Factional domination of the legislature reached its peak in the 1995 legislative election -- as the three major caucus leader positions in the six legislative sessions spanning the entire three-year legislative term were allocated immediately after the election.
stumbling block
Wang said he couldn't deny that the proposed regulations are aimed at the New Tide Faction, as it is the most organized and active clique within the DPP.
Kuo said the New Tide Faction used to be a more democratic organization, but it has now become a group whose major decisions are dictated by faction leaders such as Legislator Hung Chi-chang (
The New Tide Faction is one of the oldest factions in the DPP, having been established in 1986. It has long dominated major personnel positions at party headquarters.
In addition to Hung, Lin and Wu, other prominent members of the faction including National Security Council Secretary-general Chiou I-jen (邱義仁) and Chiu Tai-san (邱太三), vice chairman of the Mainland Affairs Council. Chiou is seen as having reduced his participation in factional activities since he took a governmental post.
Other factions still active include the Justice Alliance (
Chen Shui-bian has withdrawn from all factional activities since he became president in 2000.
Legislator Lin Chung-mo (
Tsai Huang-lang (蔡煌瑯), director general of the Justice Alliance and currently the DPP's legislative caucus whip, said that the factions need to be reexamined instead of dissolved, as the existence of factions is only human.
A member of the New Tide Faction who disagrees with the abolition of the groups is DPP Legislator Tuan Yi-kang (
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as