The physical recount of the election ballots ended yesterday with President Chen Shui-bian (
DPP Secretary-General Chang Chun-hsiung (張俊雄) said lawyers for the KMT-People First Party (PFP) alliance challenged at least 40,000 ballots during the recount.
Around 23,000 originally marked as valid votes for Chen were disputed, while 16,000 counted as for Lien are now disputed.
Chang said that among the 330,000 invalid ballots, the ratio of ballots for Chen and Lien was 2:1, that is, it was clearly recognizable that 50 percent of the invalid ballots belonged to Chen and 25 percent of invalid ballots belonged to Lien.
Therefore, the Chen-Vice President Annette Lu (呂秀蓮) ticket beat the Lien-PFP Chairman James Soong (宋楚瑜) ticket by a difference of 6,000 votes, Chang said.
Although Chen was declared the winner by a razor-thin margin of 29,000 votes, it is impossible for the pan-blues to reverse the results even if the Taiwan High Court rules that the 6,000-plus disputed votes belong to Lien, Chang said.
"It is impossible for the pan-blue alliance to reverse the election results," Chang said.
He urged Lien and Soong to face facts -- and consider the public's demand for social stability.
Chang said if the ballot-identification standards mandated in the Election and Recall Law (選罷法) had not been amended last year, the Chen-Lu ticket would have won over the Lien-Soong ticket by around 100,000 votes.
DPP Deputy Secretary-General Lee Ying-yuan (李應元) also called on Lien and Soong to recognize the recount results and show their sportsmanship by attending the presidential inauguration tomorrow.
"The fairness of the election has been assured in the recount. The game is over. As the leaders of the opposition parties, Lien and Soong should acknowledge this fact and let the people to recover from the frenzy of the election," Lee said.
If Lien and Soong really regret-ted their loss and were determined to regain the support of the people, they should focus on the year-end legislative elections instead of using technical quibbles to try to deny the legitimacy of the March 20 results, Chang said.
Saying the people want the controversy to be ended soon, Chang cited a recent public opinion poll that said 73 percent of the the public felt it was impossible for the election result to be overturned while 53 percent did not want to see the result changed.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and