Surveys conducted by academics and student groups show that the number of Taiwanese students studying in China has decreased by one-third since last year.
According to the Taiwan Student Union, the number of students studying in China fell to 2,000 this year from last year's figure of 3,000.
President Chen Shui-bian's (陳水扁) administration has said it will continue to refuse to recognize diplomas from Chinese universities, and it is thought this policy may have influenced the number of students seeking higher education in China.
Another survey conducted by George Yang (楊景堯), an associate professor at the Tamkang Graduate Institute of China Studies, had similar results.
"More private school students wish to study in China than students in government schools. Those enrolled in humanities programs are more likely to study in China than students who study sciences. Also, students in the south of the country are less willing to study in China than students in the north," Yang said.
However, Yang said that because not all students who study in the south are originally from that area, so the reason for their unwillingness to travel to China to study warrants further research.
The survey showed that 65 percent of students supported recognizing diplomas from Chinese universities, while 50 percent of respondents felt that government recognition of Chinese diplomas would help improve cross-strait ties. However, more than 60 percent of respondents felt that recognizing Chinese diplomas would negatively impact on poorly managed Taiwanese universities and colleges.
The more educated respondents were, the more they favored recognition of Chinese diplomas, with 82 percent of graduate students supporting the question.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as