The government is seeking to allay US concerns about its policies, Minister of Foreign Affairs Mark Chen (
Chen was commenting on Presidential Office Secretary-General Chiou I-jen's (邱義仁) visit to the US.
Chen said it was very important to rebuild mutual trust between Taiwan and the US and that the government would keep in close contact with the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT).
Chen said that both the US and China were paying close attention to preparations for President Chen Shui-bian's (
Chiou, who arrived in Washington on Monday, met with senior US officials, reportedly including Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage.
Mark Chen said he did not know whom Chiou would be meeting in Washington nor what he planned to talk about there.
"I knew about his visit after reading the newspapers. I will ask him about the details of the trip after he comes back," he said.
On Monday, AIT Deputy Director David Keegan warned Taiwan not to change the cross-strait status quo, adding that the US was looking to Chen Shui-bian for "responsible, democratic and restrained leadership" during a symposium on the Taiwan Relations Act held at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Francisco Hwang (黃瀧元) stood in for Mark Chen at the symposium. Mark Chen said he did not appear at the symposium because AIT Director Douglas Paal did not attend.
Without explaining why Paal could not attend the symposium, Mark Chen said that Keegan's comments were mostly identical to those of US Assistant Secretary of State for East Asia James Kelly on Taiwan during a hearing of the US House of Representatives' International Relations Committee last week.
Both Kelly and Keegan warned Taiwan against moving towards independence.
Mark Chen said Taiwan had to be careful not to hurt US interests while looking after its own.
He noted that one of his utmost duties was to safeguard Taiwan's security.
Chen was speaking during a visit to the Asian Vegetable Research and Development Center in Tainan. Chen was attending at the invitation of center director Thomas Lumpkin.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and