The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) urged China to be more open in providing information about the possible re-emergence of SARS yesterday after the Chinese government reported two suspected cases of SARS in Beijing and Anhui Province on Thursday evening.
Taiwan's government, lacking official communication channels with China, could only obtain SARS information from the Chinese media.
Taiwan has no access to "first-hand" disease information in China, MAC Vice Chairman Chen Ming-tong (
PHOTO: CNA
Chen said China apparently delayed revelation of the two SARS cases for several days because it did not want to damage its international image.
"Disease cover-ups are a serious problem in China, which, to protect its image, has put its people's lives at risk," he said.
The council had no knowledge about the appearance of the SARS cases until the Chinese media unveiled the cases Thursday. The possible re-emergence of the disease, which claimed 37 lives in Taiwan last year, highlighted the necessity of exchanging healthcare information between China and Taiwan, Chen said.
As cross-strait exchanges intensify, added Chen, it is the Beijing authorities' responsibility to inform Taiwan of potential disease risks in China.
Asked whether the suspected SARS cases would affect the dialogue on direct cross-strait links -- transportation, trade and postal services -- that the government here has called for China to engage in, Chen said Taiwan is ready to conduct the talks with Beijing at any time.
The council has instructed its agencies in Hong Kong and Macau and the semi-official Straits Exchange Foundation to gather further information about the SARS situation in China.
It also printed booklets teaching travelers to China preventive measures against SARS.
During last year's SARS outbreak, health agencies in Taiwan, lacking assistance from the World Health Organization (WHO) to combat the emerging disease in the crucial initial period of the outbreak, scrambled to learn about the disease by extensively browsing Web sites discussing SARS.
MAC has been working with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the strategy to push Taiwan's eighth application to become an observer at the WHO.
The bid is expected to encounter opposition from China.
Government agencies will work together on the country's WHO bid, Chen said.
In related news, Chen was asked to comment on Jackie Chan's (
The Hong Kong action star called the election "the biggest joke in the world" during a press conference in Shanghai last month.
Chen said he disagreed with Chan's opinion, but he would "respect Chan's freedom of speech."
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and