Fourteen journalists were injured on Saturday night when protesters at the Presidential Office attacked members of the media.
A Chinese-language evening newspaper yesterday reported that the crowd became increasingly hostile toward members of the media around 11pm, demanding that photographers and cameramen stop filming.
PHOTO: LIU HSIN-TEH, TAIPEI TIMES
Noticing that reporters were covering their attempts to pull down the barricades surrounding the Presidential Office, some protesters began voicing concerns that the police would be able to use media images to identify those involved, according to the newspaper.
A few minutes later, protesters started attacking photographers and reporters.
Four staffers from local television networks Era News and Eastern Television (ETTV) were injured. Two reporters had to be hospitalized.
Huang Hsin-hao (黃興浩), a camera man from Era News, needed 20 stitches after being attacked by about 10 protesters. According to Era News, Huang is still in hospital.
Era News and ETTV have both announced that they are planning to take legal action against the attackers.
Although the police have already identified suspects in the attacks on Era News' journalists, they are still trying to determine who attacked the ETTV news crew.
A source at Era News who asked to remain anonymous said that the network was conducting its own investigation.
"Our results so far indicate that the crowd started the conflict. We've been covering the news for so long, our reporters know better than to have said anything that might have been incendiary or provoking," the source said.
"We are all really angry here at Era. Reporters are outside observers. Why would anyone attack them?" he said.
ETTV's official reaction to the attacks was more neutral.
"We regret deeply that this happened. It is unfortunate that the people lost their reason and began to attack the reporters," said Lin Tien-chiung (林天瓊), a deputy editor with ETTV's news bureau.
Both networks pledged that they would keep reporting despite the violent turn in events.
Taipei City spokesman Wu Yu-shen (
"The reporters were standing between the line of police and the crowd in order to give the people objective and factual news. Please do not hit reporters; they should have the respect of both the public and the government," Wu said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and