Vice President Annette Lu (
In a three-page statement issued Sunday evening, Lu described how she and President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) were shot while campaigning in Tainan City and explained why they had stayed calm instead of stopping the motorcade and searching for the assassins.
"The March 19 shooting has not been solved yet, and we are accused of having staged it. As the one who was shot at first, I feel it is necessary to explain to the public what happened," Lu wrote in her statement entitled "Facts of the March 19 Shooting."
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Lien Chan (
In her statement, Lu said two bullets were fired as she and Chen were standing on the open-top Jeep waving to cheering supporters in Tainan.
"I heard two loud shots and felt a sharp pain on my right knee," she said.
She said she looked down and saw a hole in her pants and the wound was bleeding.
While covering the wound with tissues, her right hand touched the bottom of Chen's jacket and felt it was wet, so she realized Chen had also been shot. At the same time, she saw a bullet hole in the windshield of the Jeep.
While Chen continued to wave to supporters, Lu ordered the bodyguards to drive the Jeep to the nearest hospital, to avoid a second attack.
On the way to the hospital, Lu pointed out the bullet hole in the windshield to Chen.
According to Lu, Chen said: "So it was a gunshot. I thought it was the explosion of fireworks. You should have told me earlier."
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as