In the wake of the violent clash between Taipei police and pan-blue supporters on Ketagalan Boulevard early yesterday morning, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Secretary-General Lin Fong-cheng (林豐正) said the opposition camp had no control over people who had not been personally mobilized by the alliance.
"The alliance, along with its political ally, the New Party, did its best to mediate by advising people against illegally gathering in front of the Presidential Office," Lin said. "However, we had no control over people who were not mobilized by the alliance."
A number of pan-blue supporters yesterday complained that the leaders of the KMT-People First Party (PFP) alliance had offered them no support or even words of comfort after their clash with the riot police.
Looking weary after a night of scuffles with the police, protesters seeking a moment of rest at the KMT national headquarters, which is situated across the boulevard from the Presidential Office, yesterday voiced their dissatisfaction with the attitude of the KMT-PFP alliance.
"It [the alliance] wanted us to come, we didn't come here on our own," a 40-something pan-blue supporter said at the KMT national headquarters.
"We rely on [the alliance] to support us, how can they just leave us like that?" he said.
Other protesters at the KMT headquarters complained that they had lost personal items such as eyeglasses, mobile phones or shoes in the scuffle.
Many supporters said they thought they were carrying out the alliance's wishes and furthering its cause by gathering in front of the Presidential Office. Some said the absence of any alliance representatives after their clash with the riot police filled them with anger and annoyance.
"We are here fighting for you [the alliance,]" an army veteran surnamed Wang said.
"[KMT Chairman] Lien Chan (
The alliance should not simply claim that the whole brawl on Ketagalan Boulevard had been a spontaneous act by supporters and that the pan-blue-leadership had nothing to do with it, he said.
Although a number of KMT legislators have questioned the wisdom of holding further street demonstrations to increase pressure on President Chen Shui-bian (
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated