Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB) Commissioner Hou You-yi (
"We will pursue the truth behind this case, regardless of who is involved and who the culprit is. My promotions have nothing to do with this," Hou said in response to a question from People First Party (PFP) Legislator Lee Ching-hua (
PHOTO: YEH CHI-MING, TAIPEI TIMES
Hou's outstanding record in solving major crimes while he served in the Taipei City Criminal Investigation Corps in the mid 1990s impressed the president, who was then the city's mayor.
Hou has been promoted three times since, most recently last year, when he was promoted to his current position as the head of the CIB.
Lee asked Hou whether these promotions could affect his professional ethics.
"You have benefited from the president greatly, as he has promoted you several times since he was the Taipei mayor. If the president staged the shooting, would you be able to look into it fairly?" Lee asked.
As well as denying the suggestion, Hou indicated that resolving the case would be time consuming, as a crime scene reconstruction was required.
"Even though the campaign route went on for about 70km to 80km, and there were about 500 to 600 individuals in the crowd, we are reducing the scope of the crime scene and are definitely making progress," Hou said.
Hou said that three foreign forensics experts arrived in Taiwan yesterday to offer their specialized analyses of the case.
"As long as it is within judicial limits, the CIB will provide necessary information for these foreign experts to help them conduct analyses," Hou said.
Independent Legislator May Chin (
In response, Hsu Li-meng (
Despite the doubts raised by several legislators, Minister of the Interior Yu Cheng-hsien (余政憲) said he was confident about solving the case, possibly before the presidential inauguration on May 20.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated