Police yesterday said that they had plans in place to deal with any potential mobster or spy activities at the demonstration in front of the Presidential Office.
"We received reliable tips that local gangsters may be involved in the rally, so we have to pay attention to that and take all necessary precautionary measures," said Wang Cho-chiun (
PHOTO: LIAO CHEN-HUI, TAIPEI TIMES
Yu Yi-hsien (
PHOTO: CHANG CHIA-MING, TAIPEI TIMES
The informant told the police that many pan-blue camp officials had recognized gangsters in the crowd during the protest at the Central Election Committee on Friday. The gangsters were allegedly planning to create trouble at yesterday's rally.
"We are still trying to confirm the tips and trying to figure out whether these gangsters were paid to participate," Yu said. "If so, who is their employer?"
Another source told police that China may send spies to inflame people's emotions by creating minor incidents during the rally.
"We have not been able to substantiate any of the claims about espionage. Our investigation did not reveal any sign that Chinese spies are involved," Yu said.
In an incident at the People First Party (PFP) headquarters on Friday, two rioters lit a petrol bomb made from a beer bottle in front of the building, then dropped the bottle and ran away. The flames were extinguished by PFP officials.
The police administration's First Peace Preservation Corp yesterday sent 200 officers to guard the Democratic Progressive Party's headquarters. Two officers and a police vehicle patrolling the area every hour were assigned to the PFP headquarters.
As of press time yesterday, no injuries or gangster activity had been reported at the protest at the Presidential Office.
The police did arrest two teenagers who brought samurai swords into the crowd. The teenagers were being questioned by authorities last night.
According to Yu, the Taipei City Police Department assigned 4,600 officers to maintain public order at the rally. The National Police Administration assigned another 4,000 officers to help.
"Everything will be under control, if the crowd stays calm," Yu said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and