Stressing that he wants the result of Saturday's election to be annulled, defeated presidential contender Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Lien Chan (
He also suggested that a special medical and criminal task force be created to investigate the shooting of President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) on the eve of Saturday's vote.
PHOTO: CHU MEI-HSIUNG, TAIPEI TIMES
"Chen should come forward soon and address our concerns, so that the people here can go home with peace of mind," Lien told thousands of pan-blue supporters yesterday afternoon in front of the Presidential Office.
The Cabinet, however, turned down those two requests last night, saying that since both the ballot inspection application and the shooting incident are being dealt with through the legal system, the Executive Yuan should not try to interfere with the independent operation of the legal system.
"The Premier has ordered the National Police
Administration to enhance the efforts in protecting those ballots as well as to publicize evidence from the gunshot incident," said Lin Chia-lung (
"The Cabinet has done what it should do and the requests of Mr. Lien have been heard by the relevant government departments," he said. "The cabinet, therefore, should not hand out any political promises, which may violate the country's legal base and hurt Taiwan's democracy."
The crowd at the Presidential Office had been steadily growing since 4am yesterday.
The High Court yesterday announced that it would seal the ballot boxes to preserve evidence, but did not immediately order a recount as the pan-blues had demanded.
Lien expressed his gratitude that the boxes had been sealed, but said, "I hope the relevant government agencies would start examining the ballots immediately, in a transparent and open process. The sooner the better, as everyone here needs to go back to work on Monday."
Many in the crowd were pan-blue supporters who had originally gathered outside the alliance's national campaign headquarters on Saturday night, where Lien took to the stage just after 8pm and announced that he would take legal action to have the election result declared invalid.
Lien lost the election to Chen by a razor-thin margin of less than 30,000 votes.
Citing the large number of invalid ballots and his many unanswered questions relating to Friday's assassination attempt on Chen, Lien and his running mate, People First Party (PFP) Chairman James Soong (宋楚瑜), called the election unfair and demanded a recount.
Just after midnight yesterday Lien and Soong reappeared outside the pan-blue campaign headquarters and staged a sit-in protest to demand a recount.
They were joined by Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平), who is also the director-general of the alliance's national campaign team, and together with several pan-blue legislators they led supporters in a demonstration to the Presidential Office at 4:10am.
At about 6:40am, Lien and Soong led the crowd in singing the national anthem before departing the scene. They reappeared later yesterday afternoon.
The growing crowd in front of the Presidential Office waved the national flags and the alliance's campaign flags and sounded blasts on air horns throughout the night.
Meanwhile, violent protests erupted in Taichung and Kaohsiung, where pan-blue supporters, led by pan-blue legislators, tried to force their way through police cordons and into local court offices to demand an immediate recount.
Pan-blue legislators took turns addressing the crowds from the back of trucks, which seemed to inflame the protesters' emotions.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as