A low voter turnout in the referendum will damage the development of Taiwan's relationship with China, Mainland Affairs Council Vice Chairman Chen Ming-tong (陳明通) said yesterday when asked to comment on opposition lawmakers' call to boycott the referendum.
The second referendum question, which asks voters whether they want the government to establish a "peace and stability framework" with China for cross-strait interactions, had been proposed by the Mainland Affairs Council.
A low turnout will give China the opportunity to further weaken international support for Taiwan, Chen said.
"The referendum is a means of building up the public's consensus. Such an institution is indeed needed in the country's democratization process," Chen said.
Regardless of whether people vote "yes" or "no," a consensus will be reached on how to handle cross-strait affairs, but if voters simply refuse to cast ballots, the hard-earned referendum instrument will be wasted, Chen said.
Asked how the government would respond if the majority votes "no," Chen said that it would accept the result as "an expression of the people's opinions."
Chen said that if the public says no to the first question -- whether to beef up the country's anti-missile defenses -- the government would continue communicating with the people about how to defend the country.
Nevertheless, the arms purchases that have been passed by the legislature will not be revoked as a consequence of the referendum results, Chen said.
If at least half the voters cast ballots in the referendum, the mechanism to create a consensus will be established, but a smaller turnout would create the impression that the public is hesitant to back the referendum, Chen said.
"China will interpret a low referendum turnout as a sign of a lack of consensus among the people and will take advantage of it to divide the public's opinions here. It will also reduce Taiwan's bargaining power in all future negotiations with China," he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated