The army plans to share its experience in the use of the US-made TOW anti-tank missile against sea-based surface targets with other countries, since it was the first armed force in the world to make such an attempt, defense sources said yesterday.
The army pioneered the new application of the TOW missile during last year's Hankuang No. 19 exercise, successfully hitting several sea-based surface targets with TOWs fired from a beach in northeastern Ilan County. This caught the attention of military experts worldwide, as the missile had never before been used in this way.
The TOW missile is one of the most popular anti-tank weapons in the world, and is used by more than 40 countries. The army has been using TOWs since 1977, and has recently acquired quantities of the two newest models, including the TOW-2A and TOW-2B. It remains the army's main anti-tank weapon, though orders have been placed for Javelin missiles, a similar weapon that is also made by the US.
An army official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the army has provided relevant data to the original US manufacturer of the missile on the use of the TOW missile for anti-surface purposes.
"We plan to share our information with other users. The US manufacturer intends to introduce this information at an occasion where all countries that use the missile will be invited to witness a live-fire test against a sea-based surface target," the official said.
"It is a chance for us to establish links with other armed forces of the world," he said
Although the army takes pride in its innovation, some observers are skeptical. Erich Shih, a senior editor with Defence International magazine, said he did not consider the army to be justified in the use of TOWs as an anti-ship weapon.
"The army clearly intends to use the TOW missile against landing vessels. It has demonstrated this intention in the Hankuang No. 19 exercise," Shih said.
"But the army forgets that by the time the enemy is able to approach the landing zones, our air force and navy would have already been paralyzed. Under these circumstances, enemy landing vessels will have fire support from friendly warships and fighter planes that are not far away," he said.
"The weapons that these enemy warships and planes would use certainly have a longer reach than those our army could fire from the beach," Shih said.
He also criticized the army's plan to buy the AH-64D Apache Longbow attack helicopter, which he said was also to be used against ships.
"It is really a waste of re-sources," he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as