Several Taiwanese businessmen who work in China condemned the Chinese authorities yesterday for apparently condoning crimes against them.
The businessmen spoke of their tribulations at a news conference held at the Legislative Yuan by Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Chang Ching-fang (
They said China was a country rife with obscure laws and many well-intended Taiwanese business-people had seen their investments stolen or confiscated. They appealed to the Chinese government to address cases involving Taiwanese with fairness and impartiality.
At the news conference, Lin Chih-sheng (林志昇) said that he invested a great deal of money in 1993 to build four schools in Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan Province. Before 2000, the authorities in Chengdu declared the buildings illegal and confiscated them all.
Then, Lin said, one day in 2001, several gangsters came to his home and tried to kidnap him. He escaped and reported the incident to local public security authorities who decided that the way to protect him was to detain him for 15 days.
Lin said he fled from Chengdu to Xiamen in Fujian Province in 2002 and from Xiamen he paid human traffickers to have him smuggled to Kinmen.
Another businessman, Pao Yang-bo (
Kao Wei-pang (高為邦) said that he invested and operated a manufacturing plant in Yenjiao, Hebei Province. One of his local employees forged Kao's signature on guarantee documents that were used to fraudulently obtain a large loan.
Kao said that the incident happened more than five years ago but the suspect is still at large while the bank continues to press him to repay the money that was embezzled.
Voicing support for the Taiwan-ese businesspeople, Chang said that more than 1,000 Taiwanese had filed appeals to the Mainland Affairs Council for help after they had been conned, kidnapped or arrested in China.
Noting that the actual number of Taiwanese who had been taken advantage of in China could exceed 3,000, Chang called for the Chinese authorities to demonstrate some respect for the law and help do justice to the Taiwanese businesspeople who had made numerous contributions to China's society.
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated