A fire swept through a shopping center in northeastern China yesterday, killing 51 people and injuring dozens more, an official and state media reported. Hours later, a fire in a temple in the country's southeast killed 39 people.
The catastrophes added to a recent string of deadly accidents that have struck China despite promises by the government of President Hu Jintao (
The shopping center fire broke out at about 11:20am in the second floor of the five-story building in Jilin, a city about 950km northeast of Beijing, the official Xinhua News Agency reported. It said 71 people were injured.
The cause was under investigation.
"It was an especially large fire," said Fang Wanyou, a government spokesman in Jilin, which is in a province of the same name.
Many of the dead were sales clerks, and firefighters were among the injured, Fang said. He said it wasn't clear why the fire spread so fast.
Since it was a Sunday, the store was likely crowded with shoppers. Shopping has become a major pastime in China, which is newly flush with consumer goods as economic growth soars.
The temple fire broke at about 2:15pm in Wufeng, a village in Zhejiang Province, Xinhua said. It said firefighters put out the blaze about 30 minutes later, and the cause was under investigation.
The report didn't say whether the temple was Buddhist or part of China's indigenous Taoist faith.
China has suffered a string of accidents in recent weeks that have killed scores of people.
Less than two weeks ago, 37 people were killed in a stampede in Beijing during a festival celebrating the last night of the Lunar New Year holiday. In December, a gas well blowout in the country's west killed 243 people and left whole villages strewn with bodies.
Also during the Lunar New Year holiday, a bus crash in the southeast killed 24 people.
With each new disaster, China's leaders vow tougher measures to ensure public safety.
Hu, who took power last year in a generational leadership change among China's top Communist brass, says he wants to create a "well-off society" that pays attention to quality of life as well as economic growth.
Reducing accidents is part of that campaign, but frequent disasters threaten to undermine his promise.
In Jilin, it took 260 firefighters some four hours to extinguish the blaze, Xinhua said.
State television showed smoke billowing from the building, with flames visible through its broken windows and its rooftop sign completely charred.
The building's upper floors housed a bathhouse, a billiard parlor and a disco, Xinhua said, although the fire began in the part of the building that offered shopping.
Fang said there also were restaurants in the building.
An official at Jilin's Central Hospital said many of the injured suffered from smoke inhalation or shattered their legs as they hit the ground after leaping.
"There are many leg injuries because they jumped," he said by telephone. "Today was Sunday, so the mall was packed with weekend shoppers."
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and