The Taiwanese-Brazilian boy Iruan Ergui Wu (
The Brazil Business Center said the eight-year-old boy will be accompanied by center Director Paulo Pinto, his wife, a bilingual Taiwanese assistant, Wu's aunt Lee Su-hua (
PHOTO: AFP
The group will board a China Airlines flight in Kaohsiung and fly direct to Hong Kong before trans-ferring for a flight via Johannesburg, South Africa to Sao Paulo, Brazil.
The National Police Administration's Aviation Police Bureau said the group would be accompanied by a team of police officers to the airport because of the possibility that a large crowd would see them off.
"There may well be a big gathering, including the Wu family and other relatives, friends and reporters. We will therefore send more officers to the location in case they are needed," said Wang Tiao-huang (
The transfer of Iruan from the family to authorities was finalized by the Kaohsiung District Court early yesterday. Kaohsiung judges Huang Kuo-chuan (
The judges then handed the boy to Pinto, representing Iruan's grandmother, Rosa Ergui. But while leaving the court, an apparently sleeping Iruan was carried by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lin Yi-shih (林益世), who has offered the Wu family support during the custody battle.
Pinto, Iruan, Lee and the other parties then checked in at the Ambassador Hotel in Kaohsiung, where they stayed again last night. No flight for Brazil was available before today.
Children's groups yesterday expressed dismay over the way the police and media handled the case on Monday, but reserved particular criticism for the Wu family, after the nation watched extended coverage of Iruan's forcible removal by police surrounded by a scrum of reporters, TV cameras and family members and supporters.
"This kind of ending is the one that brings about the most harm to the child," said Alicea Wang (王育敏), executive director of the Child Welfare League Foundation.
"Members of the public are blaming the justice system over the incident, but it is actually the Wu family that needs to take the blame," Wang said.
"Everyone acted cruelly toward the child, but the child was the most innocent party. The adults only found out that they were making mistakes after things went wrong," she said.
Wang argued that the court had given the Wu family plenty of time to hand Iruan over to authorities, including delaying Wu's return to Brazil until after the Lunar New Year holidays, then after a farewell party was held and group photos taken.
The Wu family, however, continued to act obstructively until the last minute, defying the judge and standing up the Brazilian representative, she said.
"What could a child think about such a display of dishonesty? This is not love for a child -- it's inflicting pain on a child." Wang said.
Wang said that after Wu arrived here in 2001, the media had been his constant companion as he grew up, recording his movements on many occasions.
But, she said, media coverage had been superficial. Providing a balanced study of Iruan's perspective on things had been of no interest to reporters.
"At one point the foundation asked the government to put a limit on the media's endless reporting on [Iruan] and send in social workers instead to monitor his condition. We also hoped that the Wu family would respect the judge's decision," she said.
"But we failed on almost every level -- the media still reported on Wu as much as they liked, and the Wu family refused to accept visits from the social workers," she said.
Facing criticism over the officials' handling of the matter, Kaohsiung District Court President Tsai Wen-kuei (
However, he also said that there was room for improvement in the way officers handled such cases.
"Throughout this affair we have tried to avoid argument and conflict," he said.
"However, the Wu family and nearby residents do not realize that emotions are not above the law. We understand that they love the boy, but when he had to go, he had to go. Everyone should respect court orders," he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and