One of the nation's 10-most wanted fugitives, former Tuntex Group president Chen Yu-hao (
The fugitive's letters had been faxed from China to several pan-blue camp legislators.
However, while the much of the media attention was focused yesterday on whether the president had accepted any contributions from the tycoon, many people wondered how the businessman could be investing so heavily in China given the size of the debts he left in Taiwan.
Chen Yu-hao was charged with embezzling NT$800 million from Tung Hua Development Corp and owes more than NT$23 billion to state-run banks.
The Taipei District Court had issued an arrest warrant for him last May when it listed him and his wife, Lin Fu-mei (
According to a report by the Win-Win Weekly last July, the tycoon and his companies have debts as much as NT$100 billion in this country.
This includes money owed by Grand Union Construction Co, a major holding company that changed its name from Tuntex Group Construction Co; Tung Hua Development Corp, which built the Daguan housing district in Hsintien City; Tuntex Distinct Corp and Tuntex Petrochemicals, in which Chen Yu-hao owns 50 percent of the shares.
He reportedly arrived in Beijing on June 13 last year.
He remains an influential magnate in the US, Thailand and China. In particular the Xiamen Xianglu Group, which paid more than 600 million yuan in taxes last year, has set a stable foundation for him to cultivate his influence in China, where his businesses are growing.
He helped build Donglian Mansion near Beijing's Desheng Gate in partnership with the Taiwan Affairs Office of the Beijing City Government. The building houses some city government offices.
The tycoon has said the Tuntex group now exists in name only in Taiwan. Over the past few years, he has divided the conglomerate into independent entities so that the good companies could avoid being encumbered by the financially unsound ones.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and