Officials from the quasi-official Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF) yesterday declined to comment on reports regarding the arrests of seven Taiwanese citizens by Chinese authorities last month on charges of espionage.
SEF officials confirmed yesterday, however, that the foundation had received a letter regarding the arrests from its Beijing counterpart, the Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Strait (ARATS), and that the SEF is working to verify whether the arrests are authentic.
The SEF will give a public explanation on the matter after it finishes its verification work, the officials said.
The SEF and the ARATS were authorized by their governments more than a decade ago to handle exchanges across the Taiwan Strait in the absence of formal ties between the two sides.
ARATS letter said that seven "Taiwan residents" were arrested between Dec. 4 and Dec. 15 in China on suspicions of spying.
According to a report yesterday by the Beijing-based China News Service, Fu Hung-chang (傅宏章), Lee Chieh-shan (林介山), Soong Hsiao-lien (宋孝濂), Wang Chang-yung (王長勇), Chang Keng-huan (張耿桓) and Chang yu-jen (張豫人) were apprehended on Dec. 15 in Guangdong, Fujian, Anhui and Hainan provinces on suspicion of gathering intelligence for Taiwan's military authorities.
A seventh Taiwanese citizen, Tung Tai-ping (
ARATS claimed that all seven men were "cells" dispatched by Taiwan's Military Intelligence Bureau. All of them are in good health, the report said.
In related news, the Cabinet's spokesman warned the pan-blue camp to avoid trying to manipulate reports from China for its own political gain.
Beijing's official Xinhua News Agency reported on Dec. 24 that Chinese security authorities had arrested 24 Taiwanese and 19 Chinese on charges of spying for Taiwan.
Cabinet Spokesman Lin Chia-lung (
"It's unfair to believe China's accusation that the arrested China-based Taiwanese business-people are engaged in espionage activities before the truth is learnt," Lin told a press conference held after the weekly closed-door Cabinet meeting yesterday afternoon.
"We hope to see more support, less finger-pointing and less political feuding."
As the Chinese government often violates human rights and arrests its own people without justification, it is not surprising to see it persecute Taiwanese people and foreigners, Lin said.
Yen Wan-ching (顏萬進), deputy secretary-general of the SEF, pointed out that it was unusual for Beijing to make public arrests and investigations of espionage activities.
"They used to keep it as a secret but this time they took the initiative to confirm a report by a Hong Kong daily and then send a letter to us," Yen said.
"It'd be very interesting to know the ulterior motive of its change," Yen said.
Yen also called on the Chinese government to treat the seven arrested Taiwanese businesspeople humanely.
"We're very concerned about their health. We'll try to arrange meetings with their families and hire local lawyers if necessary."
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and