Japan will not comment on Tai-wan's defensive referendum plans before the US gives its official response, Taiwan's top representative in Japan said yesterday.
Japan's response to the referendum will largely be determined by the US' attitude towards the issue, said Lo Fu-chen (
Following US President George W. Bush's open reprimand of President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁), the US expressed its opposition to the issues Chen was planning to address in the referendum, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
Chen has proposed a referendum asking China to remove its missiles targeting Taiwan and to renounce the use of force against Taiwan.
In his report on bilateral relations between Taiwan and Japan in a legislative session, Lo said the Chinese embassy in Japan had asked the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs to openly oppose the defensive referendum.
Beijing officials have repeatedly condemned Chen's referendum proposals as a separatist plot and threatened to resort to force if Taiwan moves toward independence.
But the Japanese government did not agree to China's request because it regarded such a gesture as unnecessary. Japan does not want any conflicts in the Taiwan Strait and views China's missiles aimed at Taiwan as a threat, Lo said.
"Japan would not back any provocative behavior," said Lo. He did not explain whether Chen's referendum plans would be regarded as provocative.
Bush's rebuke of Chen during his meeting with Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao (溫家寶) in Washington last week triggered waves of media speculation regarding the US' attitude towards Taiwan's referendum plans.
Lo said Japan's attitude on the issue would not be as strict as Bush's.
Japan will do its part to help defuse cross-strait crises but is unlikely to get involved in any war, according to Lo.
Japan is Taiwan's third largest export market, after Hong Kong and the US, and Taiwan's biggest importer.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated