Taipei prosecutors indicted Natio-nal Central University English Professor Josephine Ho (何春蕤) for offences against morality on Friday night after she posted a link on her university Web site to a bestiality portal earlier this year
Ho immediately issued a statement saying that different points of view on the dividing line between pornography and academic research should not be decided or judged by the law.
"Our Constitution protects people's freedom of speech, which includes academic research," Ho said. "I am worried that the case will become an obstacle for many other students or professors when they are processing their academic research in the future because of moral pressure."
In the statement, Ho said that she had explained to prosecutors that intercourse between humans and animals does exist. She said that this was the topic under research and also the reason why she posted the link to the "Beast Love" Web site. She said that it had nothing to do with pornography. Ho added she had removed the link as soon as the story appeared in newspapers earlier this year.
Taipei Prosecutor Yu Hsiu-duan (
Ho posted a link to "Beast Love," an Internet portal detailing intercourse between humans and animals, on the Web site of the university's Center for the Study of Sexuality where Ho has served as director for the past four years.
The site, which features graphic pictures and a manual on how to have sex with animals, sparked discussion on the fine line between pornography and academic research.
On June 23, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Tseng Tsai Mei-tsuo (
Lawyer Hsu Wen-bin (
"From a prosecutors' points of view, they want to take the advantage of the case to remind the public that there should be a big gap between pornography and academic research. However, it is also very difficult to define that," Hsu said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as