The final 20 percent of funding needed to build a proposed US$400 million Guggenheim Museum in Taichung may be approved this week, said Thomas Krens, director of the Solomon Guggenheim Foundation in New York.
"We're expecting approval of the final 20 percent from the city council by the end of this week," Krens said during a symposium of the Business Committee for the Arts, a New York-based nonprofit organization.
"This project actually could be under construction as early as the end of 2004,'' he said.
The museum in Taichung would expand the Guggenheim's international scope. In addition to Bilbao, the Guggenheim Foundation has created satellite museums in Las Vegas, Nevada, Venice, Italy and Berlin, Germany.
The museum, designed by Zaha Hadid, an Iraqi-born architect based in London, would be 119,600m2.
That is the same siz as the Guggenheim Bilbao, a stainless-steel structure by architect Frank Gehry that is a tourist attraction in the Basque region of Spain.
"It's like nothing I've ever seen," Krens said of Hadid's design. "It's a brand new vocabulary for museum architecture."
Premier Yu Shyi-kun said last month that his government would fund 80 percent of the project to as much as NT$5 billion.
Plans for the Taiwanese museum are in the preliminary stages, Anthony Calnek, a Guggenheim spokesman, said.
"We're in the middle of the feasibility study period still," he said. "And the next step is a negotiation between the two parties."
The Guggenheim Foundation also has plans to build a branch in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
In April, Mayor Cesar Maia agreed to pay the foundation US$32.7 million to develop a US$250 million museum on Rio's waterfront designed by French architect Jean Nouvel.
However, in June, a Brazilian court blocked construction of the museum after opponents filed a lawsuit.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and