A book recording the saving of one of the nation's major heritage sites -- the Lin Family home in Wu-feng -- from having its heritage status taken away will be published by the Control Yuan tomorrow.
The book, The Lins of Wu-feng Waiting for a New Tomorrow, came from the investigation papers of two Control Yuan members fighting the Ministry of Interior's handling of the heritage, is the fourth book in a Control Yuan series advocating human rights.
Control Yuan member Huang Huang-hsiung (
The Control Yuan investigation was initiated after an interior ministry official hinted that his ministry might consider annulling the heritage status of the compound after the earthquake hit the country.
The MOI official claimed that it might be difficult to restore the historic site after the disaster devastated 99 percent of the compound, a typical Ching-dynasty construction.
He disclosed that an estimate revealed it would cost NT$1 billion to repair the compound.
The estimate shocked Huang and Ma, who believed that the compound meant a lot to local history and was a symbol of Taiwanese culture.
The perception earned the endorsement of Huang Fu-san (黃富三), a leading Taiwanese historian. Huang said that "the family history of the Lins of Wu-feng was typical of Taiwanese history, since the clan's path synchronized with the development of Taiwanese society."
Historic-site expert Lee Chian-lang (
Lee said the compound's history represented an encyclopedia of Taiwanese architecture that illustrate the luxurious world the Ching elite lived in.
The first Control Yuan investigation ended with a reminder to the interior ministry months after the 9-21 earthquake that heritage conservation officials must improve their protection and restoration of the compound from.
The investigation also reminded the MOI to look out for changes to the architecture.
The MOI was urged by Control Yuan members to safeguard the well-being of the clan's descendents, since they had donated the property to the public.
The second investigation started in September, after the two members received a complaint from the clan descendents that an expected government fund contributing to the reconstruction was missing from the Cabinet's budgetary aids for 921 victims.
The problem emanated from the disunited jurisdiction of ministries for the restoration plan.
The special fund, when it was confirmed by the MOI, shrunk to NT$90 million from a promised NT$114 million.
The Control Yuan issued an official censure of such misconduct to conclude its second investigation. But the war between the Control Yuan and the ministry continued after a MOI announcement last April that struck part of the compound building from the heritage list.
The ministry annulled the decision due to enormous protests from clan offspring and the Control Yuan members.
A NT$650 million restoration project was ultimately settled for the compound's fate last year.
Huang was confident that the control power realized the preservation of the compound.
"We did safeguard one of the most treasurable cultural assets for Taiwan while we safeguard the clan's property rights in the meantime," he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as