A symbol and monument of the colonial history of Taiwan, Fort San Domingo, was handed over by the central government to Taipei County Government yesterday.
The handover ceremony yesterday morning was celebrated with loud traditional big-drum beating, performed by elementary school pupils, and Taiwanese folk songs performed by local singers.
"It's like attending my daughter's wedding ceremony," said Yu Chen-hsien (余政憲), head of the Ministry of Interior.
The fort is a famous historic site and has been overlooking the northwestern Tamsui River estuary for over three and a half centuries.
According to the Cultural Assets Preservation Act (文化資產保護法), the local governments are the administrators of important national relics.
"However, Fort San Domingo is an exception, because the central government wanted to make it known to the world that this fort is ours, and no longer occupied by any extraneous regime," said Wu Mi-cha (吳密察), vice-chairman of the Council for Cultural Affairs(文建會).
"Therefore, the Ministry of the Interior had been the administrator until today," Wu said.
The maintenance and overall management of this historic site will now no longer be the central government's responsibility.
The fort, having been occupied and abandoned several times by different foreign regimes, has been seen as an encapsulation of Taiwan's history.
Built by the Spanish in 1629, Fort San Domingo soon became the Dutch colonizers' bridgehead, and the history of Dutch occupation gave this fort its better-known name "Hung Mao Cheng," or "red-haired devil's fort."
"Standing before Fort San Domingo, you will realize how small we are," said Taipei County Magistrate Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌).
"In the past 350 years, the handover of this fort has always gone hand-in-hand with fights and mass killings," he said.
In the late 17th century, Koxinga (鄭成功), son of a Chinese pirate, defeated the Dutch and took control of the fort before the Chinese renegade regime he founded was destroyed by the Ching Dynasty.
"Since then the British came, then the Japanese, and the British presided over it again after World War II," said Lee Chian-lang (李乾朗), an associate professor of folk arts at National Taipei University.
"When I was a boy, this fort was still used by the British government as its Consulate," he said.
The KMT government took over Fort San Domingo in 1980 after a series of negotiations with the British.
"Trapped as we are in history, we Taiwanese are miserable, but we also feel proud of ourselves," Magistrate Su said.
Now Fort San Domingo is not the headquarters of any colonial regime any more and has become one of the most famous historic sites in Taiwan.
The new administrator, the Cultural Affairs Bureau of Taipei County, has planned to make it the hub of the planned Tamsui Park of Historic Sites.
The maintainance of Fort San Domingo may be a financial burden for Taipei County.
Its upkeep amounts to NT$23 million a year, plus an amount of NT$37 million for re-construction fees, according to Lin Pe-yu (林泊佑), director of the bureau.
"But we are confident to maintain and operate this historic site very well," Lin said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated