Less than a week after a Taiwanese family of three was killed in Shanghai, another Taiwanese businessman was found murdered in China on Tuesday.
Wu Hsien-chang (
Confirming the tragedy, the Straits Exchange Foundation yesterday asked its Chinese counterpart to hunt down the killers as soon as possible.
"Please mobilize all relevant agencies as soon as possible in order to bring the killers to justice," the foundation said in a letter to the Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Strait (ARATS).
The murder of Wu brought the official tally of Taiwanese murdered in China since 1991 to 62.
In light of the increase in murders of Taiwanese businesspeople in China, foundation Deputy Secretary-General Jan Jyh-horng (詹志宏) yesterday called on Chinese authorities to strengthen its public order as well as engage in negotiations with Taiwan in order to better protect the safety of businesspeople and their families.
Dongguan police have begun investigations into the suspected robbery-murder case after Wu's family agreed to have an autopsy performed on his body.
Foundation Deputy Secretary-General Yin Wan-ching (
"Their only desire now is to bring all those involved [in murdering Wu] to justice as swiftly as possible," Yen said, adding that the foundation had also asked the Taiwan Business Association in Dongguang to provide assistance to Wu's relatives.
Chang Han-wen (
"Wu had a sum of 400,000 renminbi (NT$1.3 million) in cash at home because he was renovating his house and wanted to buy a new car," Chang said. "Whoever committed the crime must therefore be someone who was close to Wu and knew that he had a large sum of cash with him at home."
The money was missing from the murder scene, Chang said.
Wu had been in China for only two months. His wife and their eight-month-old son live in Taiwan.
According to the initial investigation, Wu was suffocated with a pillow.
Given the fact that Wu practiced judo, Chang said that there must have been more than one killer involved in his murder.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated