Three DPP lawmakers with clinical-practice experience called for the restructuring of the country's medical system, perceiving a flaw within the existing framework that sparked off the SARS outbreak.
"The outbreak of the flu-like illness severely hit the country partially because of the long-time neglect of medical research and training at the infectious disease department," Chien Chiao-tung (
Chien, who held a press conference with his fellow DPP Legislators Lai Ching-te (賴清德) and Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) on Friday, said that urgent reinforcement of infection technology is needed to halt the spreading disease.
All three lawmakers are experienced medical professionals.
The hospital management system must improve its training as well as aid for personnel at the infectious diseases department by doubling the manpower and improving clinical protection for personnel on duty, Chien, formerly a thoracic doctor and a hospital superintendent in Taichung County, said.
Chien explained that, "the infectious departments are unappreciated in most hospitals in civilized countries because modern society has been far removed from life-threatening epidemic transmissions following the development of more advanced medicines in the 21st century."
And this demonstrated that, before the pneumonic disease surfaced, hospital administrations tended to treat their infectious departments as secondary subdivisions with the minimum personnel, the least cost accounting and protective measures and even the poorest payment rules within the national health insurance service.
He said that hospitals around the country usually deploy only one doctor to the infectious department and the maximum nursing staff dispatched to the department is four.
"The outbreak of SARS undoubtedly created the harshest challenge to the infectious manpower reserve because of their lack of combat capability," Chien said.
The lawmakers advised enlisting the military forces to help fight the epidemic. The worsening infection was a warning that the civil medical system had been unable to win the battle against the rampant disease on its own, they said.
The battle against the SARS virus should be upgraded to a mission of biochemical war. Military hospitals should take over the command of centralized medical treatment and hospitalization, while dozens of the DOH-supervised hospitals around the country need to modify their roles in support of the leading general hospital, they said.
"The military medical forces must contribute to epidemic control with its high-speed mobilization capability and biochemistry training," Chien said.
They said the Tri-Service General Hospital of Taipei should mastermind the national SARS-prevention and cure scheme and be declared the centralized treatment base for all SARS patients and suspected cases.
The other 19 army hospitals and clinics scattered around the country can serve as preliminary bases for epidemic sampling tests and temporary centralized infirmaries for cases showing SARS-related symptoms.
Chen Chi-mai, formerly a doctor in charge at Chang Guan Memorial Hospital, demanded the speeding up of the recruitment of supplemental staff to relieve hard-pressed medical personnel. "The required quarantine for medical personnel having contact with SARS patients increased the workload of the limited amount of frontline doctors and nurses," he noted.
The administration should inaugurate standard operation procedures (SOP) for treatment of an epidemic, said Lai, who used to be a physician at National Cheng Kung University Hospital, stressing that modifying diagnostic procedures need to on while the government is pushing for a NT$50 billion special budget to curb the illness.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as