Around 7,000 Humvees (high mobility multipurpose wheeled vehicle) were bought by the military shortly after the Gulf War in 1991, but after having been in use for a decade, the well-known vehicle is scheduled to be retired and replaced by a new model in a few years' time.
Minister of National Defense Tang Yao-ming (
Although the military is still working on the specifications of the new medium-weight transport vehicle, several local car manufacturers have shown a strong interest in bidding for the deal that is expected to be worth billions of NT dollars.
The army is responsible for deciding what specifications the new medium-weight transport vehicles will have, while the combined logistics command is taking care of other details such as preparations for the open bidding on the deal.
The military initially planned to buy replacement vehicles from abroad, but changed tack in accordance with a resolution passed by the legislature two years ago.
This slowed down the process of replacing the Humvee, as the army has had to spend the whole of last year studying the feasibility of buying from local car manufacturers.
The kind of medium transport vehicle that local car manufacturers can produce will be based on design and technology provided by foreign countries, sources said. A local car-making giant is planning to introduce technology from Japan as the basis for its model to compete for the deal.
A defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said some car manufacturers might erroneously assume that building such a vehicle is a simple matter.
"If they only have the capability to assemble a medium-weight transport vehicle according to foreign designs, they will run into big trouble. What we want is not just the vehicle itself, but also a sound logistics system backing it up," the official said.
"If we buy them from abroad, it will be less of a problem. Foreign companies that we might contact for the purchase are much less likely to be questioned on their ability to maintain post-sale repair and maintenance."
The Humvee's scheduled retirement has in fact been accellerated by a lot of problems surrounding the logistics system for the vehicle.
The military has used the Humvee since 1992. Around 7,000 of the vehicles have been put into service, most of them going to the army. But, for a variety of reasons, it has been unable to establish a working logistics system.
Among the problems are the lack of Chinese-language operation manuals for the vehicles and Chinese-language instructions for the use of the equipment, an army major said. Another is the failure to maintain on a constant basis a computer-controlled system for the detection of mechanical problems, the major added.
"The detection system is usually not used. Our senior officials insist on this practice for fear of damaging the sophisticated equipment," he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as