Although Yang Teh-chih (
A KMT member, the 62-year-old Ilan native stayed in his current position after the transfer of power in 2000 and was reappointed last February during the first Cabinet reshuffle of the DPP-led government.
TAIPEI TIMES FILE PHOTO
The KMT suspended Yang for violating a party policy that prohibits members from assuming political appointments in the DPP government.
The KMT has also suspended the party rights of Minister of National Defense Tang Yao-ming (湯曜明) and Liu San-chi (劉三琦), head of the Directorate General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics.
Caught between his own party and the DPP-led government, Yang has been given a hard time by the legislature.
The hike in the monthly allowance for retired veterans is a good example. While Yang wanted to increase the amount from NT$13,100 per person to NT$13,550, the DPP's tiny TSU ally opposed the plan. The TSU said the government should not favor retired soldiers over other groups, especially at a time when the nation is experiencing financial trouble.
The TSU joined forces with the DPP to boycott the proposal and the commission's annual budget. With the help of his own party and the PFP the plan was eventually approved by the legislature.
Yang, however, did not win the support of the opposition camp easily. Opposition lawmakers once called him a "KMT traitor who conspires with the DPP at the expense of the interests of veterans."
Fighting media speculation that the Cabinet would be reshuffled after the Lunar New Year, Premier Yu Shyi-kun confirmed on Saturday that Yang had expressed his desire to quit for health reasons.
Yang issued a press release later that day saying that he wanted to quit because of health problems and that he has completed the tasks to which he had been assigned.
Insisting that national stability is paramount, Yu turned down Yang's request to resign and said that he would like all government officials to stick to their post.
Although the premier refused to let Yang go, sources in the Cabinet told the Taipei Times yesterday that Yu might have to let go of Yang if the Presidential Office insists on meddling in the Cabinet's authority and forcing Yang to leave.
"As far as I know, an influential individual at the Presidential Office wants him [Yang] to go," the source said. "As Yang has already tendered his resignation, it's now up to the Presidential Office to decide whether to keep him."
The Presidential Office has been planning to let civilians, rather than soldiers, head the Veterans Affairs Commission as well as the armed forces.
Yang is a former commander of the military's combined logistics command (
Commenting on the speculation, Chin Heng-wei (金恆煒), a political observer and editor in chief of Contemporary Monthly magazine, said that Chien would be a better choice.
"The government should seriously consider neutralizing the commission, which has long been manipulated by the KMT as a voting machine," Chin said.
Wu Tung-yeh (
"The DPP-led government should realize that it's the global trend to have civilians instead of soldiers lead a nation's armed forces. It may take some time to reach that goal, but it's the way to go," he said.
According to a senior defense reporter who requested anonymity, Yang's health was once a concern, but that is no longer the case.
"He is in perfect shape and still enjoys hiking and mountain climbing," he said.
Yang was hospitalized last November after receiving improper medication from a Chinese-medicine doctor for shoulder pain. The medication reportedly contained steroids.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated