Some 20 members of the Committee for Action for Labor Legislation (工人立法行動委員會) went to the Legislative Yuan yesterday to demand that two DPP legislators who had accused organizers of a workers' demonstration of "working for China" to prove their accusations or resign.
"The two legislators abused their rights of free speech. They just want to distract attention from the government's labor policies," said Ho Yian-tang (
DPP legislators Lee Ming-hsien (
PHOTO: GEORGE TSORNG, TAIPEI TIMES
They alleged that one of the committee's founders, Cheng Tsun-chi (
They also said that the secretary-general of the Chinese Federation of Labor, Wang Juan-ping (王娟萍), is close to the Chinese government, citing her attendance at Chinese national day celebrations in Beijing on Oct 1.
The protesters did not succeed in confronting the two legislators. But DPP legislative whip Wang Tuoh (王拓) promised that he would urge the two to provide explanations for their comments within three days.
Later yesterday, the two legislators, speaking to reporters at the Legislative Yuan, reiterated their worries that Taiwanese workers "may be being manipulated by anti-Taiwan forces."
"We received the information from our friends doing business in China, but we can't release their names," Lee Ming-hsien told reporters.
Ho said that they would continue to protest until the two legislators offer a reasonable explanation.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as