Senior advisor to the president Yao Chia-wen (
"Actually, President Chen Shui-bian (
Presidential Office spokesman James Huang(
The president has postponed publicizing the names of new Examination Yuan candidates and leaders for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that negotiations with the opposition about who should be nominated remains ongoing. In addition, budget deliberations for state-owned businesses and internal DPP reforms, including the arrangement of Central Headquarters' personnel, have taken up much of the president's time.
"We continue to negotiate with the opposition on the name list for the 19 new members," the aide said, "besides, the Legislative Yuan is busy reviewing the budgets of state-owned enterprises, so the appointment of Examination Yuan personnel can wait until late May."
Another DPP source revealed to the Taipei Times that Yao and Chang chun-hung (
"Yao prefers to be with the President while Chang has asked the President to reconsider appointing him due to a number of past personal problems.
At issue would likely be Chang's reportedly messy divorce from DPP lawmaker Hsu Jung-shu (
Chang and Yao were both members of the Kaoshiung eight during the 1979 Kaoshiung Incident. Chang's long marriage to Hsu, who was his wife during the Kaoshiung Incident, was considered too important to the party to end. Thus, sources say, their marriage continued for years on that basis.
"That might make it difficult for him to win legislative approval," the source said. "Under the circumstances, Yao appears to have the advantage in the competition to lead the Examination Yuan."
Yao, who succeeded the DPP's first chairman Chiang Peng-chien (
Yao declined the arrangement, but became a senior advisor to the president, one of the five paid advisor posts.
There are both paid and unpaid senior advisors to the president. Only five of the positions are paid and come with an office at the Presidential Office.
Yao declared he would run in the DPP chairmanship election earlier this year and then, while the party's current leader Frank Hsieh (
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of