Vice President Annette Lu (呂秀蓮) yesterday denied ever discussing a possible run for the presidency in 2004, urging the media to stop taking pot shots at her relationship with President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁).
"Looking at the news from the past two days, I've found that some people are again disseminating rumors to try and raise the tension between President Chen and myself," Lu said yesterday while receiving a civil rights group at the Presidential Office.
Some local media reported on Monday that Lu told a close friend that Chen had already promised to nominate her as his running mate for the race in 2004.
Lu's office immediately denied the report.
However, a number of newspapers stuck to their guns yesterday, reporting that Lu is not interested in being Chen's vice presidential running mate and that she instead want to run for the presidency.
Responding to the reports, Lu yesterday stressed her loyalty to the president.
She asserted that since she and Chen assumed power, she, knowing that the vice president should not encroach on the president's authority, had focused on more "minor matters," such as civil rights and industrial development.
But Lu said that the media's obsession with her libel case against The Journalist, which said in November 2000 that she tried to spread information about an affair between Chen and a female aide, had created a long-term disturbance.
"When the Taipei district court ruled [last week] on [my] libel case against the magazine," Lu said, "I thought that all gossip about a supposedly tense relationship between the president and me would end. Unfortunately, some people continue to try and stir trouble in my relations with the president," Lu said.
Lu also took a shot at lawmakers and public servants who, she says, are concerned with nothing but the next election.
"I will say that, while politicians worry over their next election, statesmen worry about the welfare of the next generation," Lu said.
"Therefore, I hope that the nation's people do not fall prey to such rumors."
Secretary-General to the President Chen Shih-meng (
"I think it would be impossible for the vice president to reveal such information so haphazardly," Chen said. "It [the comment about Lu's intention to run for the presidency] came neither from the Presidential Office nor the DPP."
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and