Kinmen will begin to accept children of China-based Taiwan businesspeople on a "trial basis" this September, an education official said Monday.
Deputy Education Minister Fan Sun-lu (
Fan noted that Kinmen was one of the first places in Taiwan to implement the nine-year compulsory educational system, making its overall teaching environment one of the best in the nation.
Fan asked Kinmen educational authorities to complete their assessment of high schools and vocational schools so that the children of Taiwan businesspeople operating in China would be able to receive their education from primary school through senior high school in their motherland.
She said she welcomed Tai-wanese businesspeople to visit in groups to see the school facilities for themselves.
Under the "small three links" implemented in January of last year, which allow for direct trade, transport and postal links between Matsu and Kinmen and selected Chinese ports, legislators also said that once regular shipping begins between Kinmen and Xiamen, Taiwan businesspeople in China will be able to visit their children studying in Kinmen and vice versa via a voyage across the Taiwan Strait of no more than 90 minutes.
The legislators said that allowing the children to receive their educations on Kinmen would help Taiwan businesspeople maintain their roots and prevent their children from being "brainwashed" under the Chinese educational system.
DPP Legislator Chang Chin-fang (張清芳) also urged educational authorities to be "bolder," saying that as a democratic society, Taiwan should welcome Chinese students who wish to study in Kinmen to help them better identify with Taiwan.
Fan said that the ministry has formed a task force with the Mainland Affairs Council to assess the possibility of allowing in Chinese students.
The Kinmen County Government assessed that junior high schools would be able to accommodate up to 2,000 children of China-based Taiwan businesspeople, while primary schools would be able to handle up to 3,000 children.
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated