Arguing that proposed changes to the Public Welfare Lottery will threaten their right to work, handicapped lottery ticket vendors yesterday called on the government not to reduce lottery draws to once a week from the current two.
"Public fever over the lottery in its early stages is understandable," said Chen Kun-tsai (陳坤財), representative of a group representing handicapped vendors. "The Ministry of Finance should just let the lottery fever cool down naturally rather than changing its policy."
Chen was referring to a proposal aimed at dissipating public fervor about the lottery that was submitted to the finance ministry by the Legislative Yuan's Finance Committee last week. The proposal asks for the number of drawings to be reduce to one a week.
"Rather than reducing the frequency of lottery draws and putting our jobs in jeopardy, the government should work on ways to achieve the original purpose of the lottery-public welfare -- and enable us to benefit," Chen said at a press conference yesterday. Legislators Lee Ming-hsien (李明憲) and Chien Chao-tung (簡肇棟) of the DPP and Lee Chia-chin (李嘉進) of the KMT called the press conference to address the concerns of the handicapped vendors.
Chen said that by changing lottery policy, the government risked harming the lottery's credibility and may dampen the public's desire to buy lottery tickets.
"This would result in the smothering of our employment opportunities and defeat one of the objectives of the Public Welfare Lottery, which is to benefit the handicapped vendors financially from the profits from ticket sales."
During the press conference, Tseng Kou-lieh (
"We will take into consideration input from all relevant departments and parties on this issue," Tseng said.
"For now, there will still be two drawings a week."
Meanwhile, the alliance also urged the media to give more coverage to what it called "positive aspects of the lottery rather than negative aspects.
"By focusing a disproportional amount of coverage on the negative sides [of the lottery] and leaving out many of the heart-warming acts and stories, the media is conveying the false impression to the public that the lottery brings only greed and suicides and nothing good to society," Chen said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as