President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) envoy to APEC, former vice president Lien Chan (連戰), is expected to meet with US President George W. Bush at the annual meeting underway in Lima, Peru, a top US official said on Friday.
But how the two will meet was left unsaid as Dennis Wilder, the senior Asian director for Bush’s National Security Council, mentioned the possible meeting during a briefing for the US press aboard Air Force One en route to the meeting.
His comment came just one day after Taiwan lodged a protest with Peruvian authorities over Taiwan’s exclusion from an informal meeting of APEC foreign ministers held on Wednesday.
PHOTO: AP
Taiwan was excluded along with Hong Kong, which became part of China in 1997.
Wilder made his comments as part of a long statement praising Bush’s accomplishments in Asia during his eight-year presidency, apparently linking Bush’s policy with an easing of tensions between Taiwan and China.
“The president will have an opportunity to meet with former vice president Lien Chan during the sessions of APEC,” Wilder said. “And [Bush is] interested to hear from both the Chinese side and the Taiwan side not only about what’s been accomplished so far, but that they’re going to accomplish in the future in terms of adding to peace and stability on the Taiwan Strait.”
Lien’s attendance at the APEC meeting is itself a reflection of Bush’s policy, Wilder said while ticking off Bush’s accomplishments.
“At this APEC you will see a former vice president of Taiwan representing Taiwan at this Asian economies meeting. Eight years ago, that would have been unthinkable,” he said.
“Eight years ago, the United States and China were at odds over Taiwan and how to deal with the Taiwan issue. There were great strains caused by this issue in the US-China relationship,” he said.
“Working very closely with [Chinese] President Hu [Jintao (胡錦濤)], working with the officials on Taiwan, you have seen in the last few months a huge reduction in the tensions along the Taiwan Strait,” he said, citing specifically the recent visit to Taiwan by Chinese envoy Chen Yunlin (陳雲林).
“And at this conference, you will see a former vice president of Taiwan sit down at international meetings with world leaders. This is a real opening and a real change and a real reduction in tensions,” he said.
Wilder also praised Bush’s personal style as a reason for a relaxation in cross-Strait tensions.
Hu had a “great deal of confidence and faith in the [US] president, in part because the president was very honest and candid with him on where we were on Taiwan, but also kept his promises in relation to Taiwan that we would not support independence in Taiwan, that we would not support provocative steps on Taiwan, but also, that we weren’t going to let Beijing bully Taiwan,” Wilder said.
“And I think the fact that the president was able to walk that line with the Chinese and maintain a very productive relationship shows the skills, really the diplomatic skills that the president brought to that relationship,” Wilder said.
Meanwhile, the US State Department this week gave a hint on how it would treat the Taiwan delegation to the 2011 APEC annual meeting, which it will host.
In a notice in the Nov. 19 Federal Register, a compendium of official US government announcements, the department invited cities and major resorts to submit proposals to hold events at the meeting.
In it, the department said that “the President of the United States, 18 other heads of government and representatives from Hong Kong and Taiwan are expected to attend.”
The department did not specify what it meant by “representative” in its reference to Taiwan. Nor it is clear whether the term represents an agreement between Washington and Beijing over the nature of the Taiwanese presence at the meeting.
It was also not clear whether the linking of Hong Kong and Taiwan had any significance.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as