The Belgian government said yesterday that it did not rule out the possibility of a boycott of the Beijing Olympics if the situation in Tibet worsened.
Vice Premier Didier Reynders told Le Soir newspaper yesterday that staying away from China "is not an option that we reserve today. But we can never exclude the worst."
His comments came a day after French President Nicolas Sarkozy suggested he could boycott the opening ceremony of the Olympics.
The sports minister of the northern Belgian region Flanders said he would not attend the opening ceremony in Beijing, as it could be used for propaganda purposes.
CASUALTIES
Recent unrest in Tibet has killed at least 22 people. The uprising was the broadest and most sustained against Chinese rule of the region in almost two decades.
It was against this backdrop that the Belgian government was holding out the possibility of a boycott.
"The government remains very attentive [as to] how the situation develops," Reynders said.
As things stood though, he stuck to the government line: "A boycott is not a good solution."
Bert Anciaux, the sports minister of the regional government of Flanders said he would not go to the opening ceremony.
"If public opinion wants to give a signal about human rights violations and cultural rights, then the use of the opening ceremony is not bad," Anciaux said, adding he would "not try to be part of the Chinese propaganda machine."
ROGGE
Anciaux called on International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge, who is also Belgian, to respond to the Tibetan crisis.
"It is high time that the IOC proves that granting the games was not a blank check," he wrote on his Web site. "Now the IOC has to speak and say what it expects. To be silent now is to be complicit in the terror against Tibet and thousands of dissidents."
European governments had largely rejected any snub of the Olympics for political reasons.
Last week, EU nations and Olympic committees opposed a boycott of the Beijing Games over the Tibet protests.
The EU sports ministers and Olympic committees said sports should not be linked to political issues.
"A boycott will only destroy the dreams of thousands of athletes," Anciaux said.
Shohei Ohtani and Clayton Kershaw on Friday joined their Los Angeles Dodgers teammates in sticking their fists out to show off their glittering World Series rings at a ceremony. “There’s just a lot of excitement, probably more than I can ever recall with the Dodger fan base and our players,” manager Dave Roberts said before Los Angeles rallied to beat the Detroit Tigers 8-5 in 10 innings. “What a way to cap off the first two days of celebrations,” Roberts said afterward. “By far the best opening week I’ve ever experienced. I just couldn’t have scripted it any better.” A choir in the
After fleeing Sudan when civil war erupted, Al-Hilal captain Mohamed Abdelrahman and his teammates have defied the odds to reach the CAF Champions League quarter-finals. They are today to face title-holders Al-Ahly of Egypt in Cairo, with the return match in the Mauritanian capital, Nouakchott, on Tuesday next week. Al-Hilal and biggest domestic rivals Al-Merrikh relocated to Mauritania after a power struggle broke out in April 2023 between the Sudanese army and a paramilitary force. The civil war has claimed tens of thousands of lives and displaced more than 12 million people, according to the UN. The Democratic Republic of the Congo-born Al-Hilal
The famously raucous Hong Kong Sevens are to start today in a big test for a shiny new stadium at the heart of a major US$3.85 billion sports park in the territory. Officials are keeping their fingers crossed that the premier event in Hong Kong’s sporting and social calendar goes off without a hitch at the 50,000-seat Kai Tak Stadium. They hope to entice major European soccer teams to visit in the next few months, with reports in December last year saying that Liverpool were in talks about a pre-season tour. Coldplay are to perform there next month, all part of Hong Kong’s
Shohei Ohtani, Teoscar Hernandez and Tommy Edman on Thursday smashed home runs to give the reigning World Series champions the Los Angeles Dodgers a 5-4 victory over Detroit on the MLB’s opening day in the US. The Dodgers, who won two season-opening games in Tokyo last week, raised their championship banner on a day when 28 clubs launched the season in the US. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts shuffled his batting lineup with all four leadoff hitters finally healthy as Ohtani was followed by Mookie Betts, then Hernandez and Freddie Freeman in the cleanup spot, switching places with Hernandez. “There’s a Teoscar tax to