After decades of negotiation that eventually ended in compromise, the Taipei City Government yesterday demolished the city's oldest public market.
Efforts to tear down Hsimen Market (
PHOTO: CHEN CHENG-CHANG, TAIPEI TIMES
The city is taking down part of the 104-year-old market in order to reconstruct the historic building -- a crucifix-shaped, one-story Japanese style building -- that will house 262 grocery stores.
The NT$600 million project, which is scheduled to be completed by next July, is part of an effort to revitalize the city's older communities.
One day before the demolition, Hsu Yang-lan (
A check for NT$110,000 was all she had to show after a decade of protests with other vendors and negotiations with the city government.
Hsu, 88, originally from Sha-nghai, had sold noodle soup at the Hsimen Market when she and her late husband relocated to Hsimenting in 1949.
When her husband died some 20 years ago, Hsu closed down the store and has since been living alone at the shop.
However, a devastating fire last year forced her to move out of her home and rent a room at a nearby apartment complex.
"I've lost my home and don't have enough money to eat," said the gray-haired grandmother in a heavy Shanghai accent.
Compensation complaint
Her grand daughter, Lee Ya-ling (
Like those shop owners whose stores were destroyed during last year's fire, Hsu has received NT$15,000 in compensation for the losses.
She is also entitled to NT$1.12 million since she does not intend to move back to the reconstructed market to continue with her business.
Vendors intending to move back, on the other hand, are entitled to NT$660,000 in compensation.
Rich history
The Hsimen Market in Hsimenting, Wanhua District, was built in 1896 during the Japanese colonial era and was the city's first public market.
The wooden building was reconstructed in 1908 and came to consist of two main buildings: a two-storey red-brick octagon-shaped structure and a one-storey red-brick crucifix-shaped building.
According to Huang Yung-chuan (
The crucifix-shaped building was used as a market for selling fresh groceries, dried food and daily items. Twenty-six more shops were built in 1928 to the east of the octagon-shaped building.
Two years after KMT forces retreated to Taiwan after loosing the civil war in China, the octagon-shaped building was renamed the "Taipei Book Market" (
In 1956, the octagon-shaped building was renamed the "Red Theater" (
buildings erected
To feed hungry movie-goers, more buildings were erected and more street vendors gathered to the west and south of the theater during the 1960s and 1970s.
Business for these vendors, however, has gone downhill since 1991, when the nearby Chunghua Market was demolished to make room for Chunghua Road.
In 1997, the city government designated the theater as a third-class historic relic and launched a remodeling project to make it into a movie museum.
The fire of July 22 last year, however, almost flattened the market and destroyed 129 stores to the south and west of the theater.
deeply disappointed
As Huang watched the excavator demolish the buildings opposite his florist shop, he said he still couldn't help feeling that the revitalization plan was unfair for the shop owners.
"The city claimed that their buildings were illegally constructed, but they had been around long before the KMT forces came over," said Huang, whose shop was spared because it was considered "legal."
A women by the name of Chen, who was busy emptying her shop opposite Huang's on Wednesday afternoon, said that she was very disappointed with the compensation offered by the city government.
"Ten years ago, I spent NT$3 million to purchase this place and have been paying NT$4,000 every month for the vendor's license. "The NT$1.12 million compensation is hardly enough to cover my losses.
"I don't want to move, but what else can I do?" she said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats