The battle over the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant has shifted from the legislative and executive branches of government to the Control Yuan, as members of the country's watchdog for public officials vowed to speed up their investigation into the Cabinet's Oct. 27 decision to halt construction of the plant.
While the Cabinet announced on Wednesday that the project, which was interrupted for almost four months, would proceed, the future of the plant is far from secure.
"The political responsibility that should be shouldered by the officials involved is not our concern. We [the five-member special task force of the Control Yuan] will focus on the legal aspects of the decision-making process. That is, whether the decision was reached in accordance with the law," said Lin Shih-chi (
Lin went on to dismiss rumors that the resumption of construction of the power plant would affect the Control Yuan's decision.
"Our determination to make an impartial ruling ... has never been shaken. It is also unfair to make any speculation at the moment as the first meeting will not be held until next week."
Lin said that although no definite timetable had been set, they would proceed as quickly as possible.
In related news, disenchanted by the Cabinet's giving ground to renew the power plant's construction, anti-nuclear groups yesterday appealed to the Control Yuan, claiming that the government had failed to conduct a new environmental impact assessment (EIA) for the power plant, given that the specifications for the reactors had changed since the initial EIA was approved.
The petitioners said that the Cabinet was irresponsible to allow further construction of the plant as a significant increase to the planned power output of the reactor had been made, but not officially approved by the relevant government agency.
According to Kao Cheng-yen (
Kao pointed out that the government departments in charge had been censured in the past by the Control Yuan for failure to follow proper procedures, but so far no compensatory measures had been taken.
Government agencies also came under attack for failing to reassess the plant's earthquake resistance, as well as failing to find a proper site for the nuclear waste it would generate.
In response to the attacks, Control Yuan member Kang Ning-hsiang (
"Citing the change to the power output of the reactor, for example, how could such a vast change be made without a safety assessment being made beforehand" Kang said. "The assessment has to be done, and it needs to be done in accordance with an even stricter standard."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats