A prosecutor investigating embezzlement accusations surrounding Colonel Liu Kuan-chun (
But the reporter who published the documents -- transcripts of three interviews with National Security Bureau officials -- said the airing of the secret files was not to blame.
The China Times Express on Saturday partially published transcripts of interviews with three National Security Bureau officials implicated in the Liu case.
On Tuesday, prosecutors raided the newspaper's newsroom -- sparking widespread criticism that the investigators were trampling on press freedom.
Taipei district prosecutor Hsueh Wei-ping (
"An atmosphere of distrust has grown within the group," Hsueh said. "Because it's unknown who leaked the secret interrogation transcripts to the press, group members have been suspicious of one another."
Civil and military prosecutors, along with the justice ministry's investigation bureau, are jointly probing the embezzlement case. These officials are, in normal circumstances, believed to be the only persons having access to the interrogation records.
"Now we ourselves are under investigation and subject to questioning," Hsueh complained.
The security breach has been established as a separate criminal case and is being pursued by another group of Taipei district prosecutors.
Hsueh said the investigation into the leak as slowed down the investigation into Liu.
But Wang Yin-fang (
"A journalist shall report what is needed to be reported," Wang said. "Prosecutors should not shift responsibility to the press for the slow progress of their investigation."
Hsueh said he did not know the source of the information leak, but speculated the act was carried out deliberately. "The purpose was to alienate members on the investigative team and hinder the investigation," he said. "And they succeeded."
DPP Legislator Chang Ching-fang (
Chang said that the partially published interrogation records was unfavorable to certain high-ranking National Security Bureau figures.
Also, Chang said, if the source of the secret leak could be found, so could accomplices in the embezzlement case.
Chang postulated that certain forces within the security bureau were trying to disrupt the Liu investigation.
Liu Kuan-chun, the former chief cashier at the agency charged with embezzlement, remains missing. Military prosecutors issued an order for his arrest last Thursday.
While military prosecutor Lee Jung-yuna (
Chang called on the Presidential Office to set up a higher-level special investigation task force to focus on the case, as has been done in the Yin Ching-feng (
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats