The school reconstruction task force formed by the Ministry of Education (MOE) and local governments has reached an initial blueprint concerning how to proceed with reconstruction projects for schools damaged in the 921 earthquake, Vice Minister of Education Fan Sun-lu (范巽綠) said yesterday.
"Communication between the central and local governments is indispensable to facilitate the reconstruction projects. This is why we went to visit the quake-stricken regions once the task force was established," Fan said.
"Only through constant contact with local officials can we be updated with their real reconstruction needs," she said.
Fan last week traveled to five quake-hit counties, along with Minister of Education Ovid Tzeng (
Since Tzeng took office, he has repeatedly said that reconstruction of schools in quake-hit areas will be the top priority of his administration.
Recent reports said the MOE had previously suggested entrusting reconstruction projects to four professional construction management (PCM) companies, because the scope and complexity of the task preclude the ministry's ability to properly monitor the job.
PCMs are expected to apply improved management techniques in the planning, design and implementation of the reconstruction plan, saving costs and ensuring higher quality.
However, local government officials and local school authorities have raised concerns about how to choose quality PCMs and whether the companies selected will monopolize the reconstruction projects. Questions have also been raised as to whether the MOE will be able to fulfill its supervisory role in the projects.
Fan dismissed such worries, saying "PCMs merely assist in picking qualified architects, handling the bidding process for the contractors, and providing professional counsel on the bidding documents and operational measures. City governments and the school authorities are still in complete charge of the whole bidding process. Therefore, there should be no concerns about the PCMs monopolizing the process," added Fan.
According to the latest reports, 45 out of the total 174 schools in need of reconstruction decided to carry out their own renovations and rebuilding. The estimated reconstruction costs for these schools is about NT$610 million.
The remaining 129 schools are willing to receive assistance from PCMs, which have been allotted a budget of approximately NT$4.8 billion.
So far, Ya-hsin Company (
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats