A four-day drill conducted last month by the National Security Council (NSC) to test the government’s ability to respond to national security emergencies exposed various problems, and President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) has called for improvements, a senior government official said yesterday.
The drill, which took place from Sept. 8 to 11, caught many government agencies off guard, as they had “no idea what resources were available and where to find them,” said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
Tsai has asked for more training and improved coordination between government agencies and military units, the official added.
Photo courtesy of Military News Agency
More than 20 government agencies took part in the drill, they said.
The exercise, aimed at enhancing cross-departmental and inter-ministerial cooperation on emergency responses, requires government agencies to respond to nearly 100 national security threats to test if they can handle emergencies.
It is carried out by three groups: the drill group, consisting of all ministries under the Executive Yuan; the attack group, which simulates the threats; and the observer group, which evaluates the performance of the other groups, the official said.
The attack and observer groups each have about a dozen members and are respectively headed by former NSC secretary-general Chiou I-jen (邱義仁) and former NSC secretary-general Chen Chung-hsin (陳忠信), the official said, adding that about 500 people took part in the drill, including former military leaders and academics.
This drill found recurring problems at government agencies, as most seemed completely unprepared for emergencies, the official said.
“The Ministry of National Defense received the highest score for its emergency responses, as it is the most experienced among all ministries in the field,” the official said, citing the observer group’s evaluation.
“On the other hand, a ministry which considers itself to be elite was criticized for rarely consulting with other ministries,” the official added.
The drill differs from the annual Han Kuang military exercise, as it focuses on political agencies’ responses to emergencies, while Han Kuang focuses on military responses, the official said.
Drills in the past two years have shown that cross-departmental and inter-ministerial cooperation clearly need improvement, especially in coordinating the military, the coast guard, police and firefighters, the official said, adding that the agencies lack training in collaboration as well as clear guidelines for emergencies.
To improve the agencies’ performance, the government could increase the drill’s frequency next year, the official said.
This year’s drill was the 11th since it was launched in 2005 under then-president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁).
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats