Taiwanese human rights advocate Lee Ming-che (李明哲), who has been detained in China since March, is to stand trial soon, his wife, Lee Ching-yu (李凈瑜), said yesterday, adding that she is traveling to China to see him.
“I must see my husband, and I cannot wait to see him,” Lee Ching-yu said.
She said she would apply for a new Taiwanese compatriot permit today after receiving a call yesterday from a man named Zhang Zhongwei (張忠偉), who said he was the court-appointed lawyer for her husband.
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
Lee Ming-che has been held incommunicado since entering China from Macau on March 19 on what his wife says was a mission to share Taiwan’s experience with democratization.
Beijing arbitrarily canceled Lee Ching-yu’s Taiwanese compatriot permit in April, forcing her to cancel a trip to China with Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF) officials, to try to see her husband.
Lee Ching-yu said that Zhang had told her to begin applying for travel documents because her husband is to stand trial in the Intermediate People’s Court in Yueyang City, Hunan Province.
Zhang did not say when the trial would start, but promised to notify her when a date has been set.
She said she has not decided whether to ask SEF officials to accompany her again, but called on Taiwanese lawyers to join her.
Taiwan Association for Human Rights secretary-general Chiu Ee-ling (邱伊翎) said that the Mainland Affairs Council yesterday called to offer its assistance.
Beijing’s refusal to abide by the terms of the Cross-Strait Joint Crime-Fighting and Judicial Mutual Assistance Agreement (海峽兩岸共同打擊犯罪及司法互助協議) and directly contact Taipei over the case has been a major point of contention.
Lee Ching-yu said that she did not ask Zhang for proof of identity, but added that he appeared to be a Chinese Communist Party branch secretary and had represented Yueyang at the 7th National People’s Congress.
It is important that Lee Ching-yu be accompanied by Taiwanese lawyers, because there is a danger that Chinese authorities could use her to pressure her husband to confess, Judicial Reform Foundation executive secretary Hsiao Yi-ming (蕭逸民) said.
“If he had confessed, there should be a public video at this point,” Hsiao said.
“Lee Ming-che has already disappeared — we do not want Lee Ching-yu to be next,” he said.
Chinese human rights lawyer Jiang Xianyong (江天勇), whose sentencing was broadcast last month over social media, appears to have confessed after his father disappeared, he said.
The Judicial Reform Foundation will send representatives to accompany Lee Ching-yu, he said, calling on the Chinese government to allow them to be present for the trial, that all evidence against Lee Ming-che be presented openly and for him to have the opportunity to rebut accusations.
Lee Ming-che may be the first Taiwanese to stand trial on charges of attempting to overthrow the Chinese government, which carries a potential life sentence, Hsiao said, adding that the Chinese government’s failure to contact his immediate family members after his arrest violated China’s own laws.
“China’s intention is clearly aimed at disrupting our plans to take the case to the UN,” Chiu said, referring to Lee Ching-yu’s scheduled appearance next week before the UN Human Rights Council’s Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances.
Lee Ching-yu said that she was unsure if she would be able to attend the UN hearing.
Chiu said her group and Covent Watch would send representatives to the hearing to assist in presenting evidence if they are barred from using their Republic of China (ROC) passports.
The Presidential Office said it was the government’s duty to protect Lee Ming-che’s safety and ensure his return under the condition that national dignity is maintained.
Lee Ming-che is an ROC citizen and it is the government’s duty to protect him, Presidential Office spokesman Sidney Lin (林鶴明) said.
The Mainland Affairs Council will provide necessary assistance, Lin said.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary