Tens of thousands of customers’ personal information was exposed on Acer Inc’s (宏碁) North American online store for about a year due to a security breach, the company confirmed yesterday.
“Acer’s subsidiary, Acer America Corp, has taken immediate steps to resolve this security issue upon identifying it and it is being assisted by outside cybersecurity experts,” the Sijhih District (汐止), New Taipei City-based PC maker said in a filing with the Taiwan Stock Exchange.
The filing said that only the North American online store was affected by the incident and that there were no signs that its online platform in other regions, such as Europe, had been compromised.
Photo: David Chang, EPA
Acer said the incident has no immediate negative impact on its operations or finances.
The filing came after several foreign media outlets reported that the accounts of customers who made purchases on Acer’s North American online store between May 12 last year and April 28 were accessed by an unauthorized third party.
The data breach affected 34,500 customers based in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico, according to a report by ZDNet, which Acer America later confirmed to PCWorld.
According to PCWorld, Acer America said the information was exposed because the company “inadvertently stored the data in an unsecured format,” which hackers were able to access.
Acer said that information, such as names, addresses and credit card numbers, including expiration dates and three-digit security codes, had been compromised.
It said it does not collect US customers’ Social Security numbers and had not found evidence that passwords or login credentials were stolen.
Acer said it has reported the issue to its credit card payment processer and suggested that customers file a police report if they suspect they have been victims of identity theft or fraud. It added that it was cooperating fully with US law enforcement authorities over the issue.
Acer values its customers’ trust in the company and regrets this incident, the company said, adding that it is working on improving its cybersecurity.
The company in March formed an information security service alliance with IBM Corp, financial software company Syspower (奇唯科技) and other local companies.
The alliance aims to utilize IBM’s X-Force security research and development to improve defense against cybersecurity threats for enterprises in Taiwan, IBM said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats