Prosecutors from the Tainan District Prosecutors’ Office yesterday searched the residence of property developer Lin Ming-hui (林明輝) as part of an ongoing investigation into the collapse of the Weiguan Jinlong complex on Saturday last week, while the Tainan District Court approved a request to freeze some of the assets of Lin and two other men.
Lin accompanied the search team, which was looking for documents regarding the complex in Tainan’s Yongkang District (永康).
He was chairman of the board of the now-defunct Weiguan Construction Co (維冠建設), which built the massive complex.
Lin and architects Chang Kui-pao (張魁寶) and Cheng Chin-kui (鄭進貴) were detained on Tuesday night.
The prosecutors’ office said the investigation is focusing on allegations that the company skimped on materials and arbitrarily changed designs.
The district court yesterday morning approved the prosecutors’ request that assets of up to NT$30 million (US$894,988) belonging to the three men be provisionally seized to prevent them from being liquidated while the investigation is underway.
It also set a low guarantee of NT$500,000 for anyone wishing to file a lawsuit to freeze Lin’s assets.
By law, applications to freeze an individual’s assets require a deposit or “guarantee fee” ranging from one-tenth to one-third of the total amount of assets to be frozen.
The Tainan City Government said the initial freeze of NT$30 million was done on behalf of victims who lost their homes and those who suffered minor injuries in the collapse.
The city government said it made a preliminary estimate of NT$30 million for property losses. as it is not yet possible to come up with the full amount. because victims of the disaster are still trying to come to grips with the extent of their losses.
Respecting the victims’ need to grieve, the city government said it did not ask any of the victims if they wanted to join in the application before it submitted the request on Thursday, although it has begun to receive calls about how to take such actions.
Seeking a freeze on the trio’s assets would assure a financial source to compensate the quake victims if the city wins the lawsuit, officials said.
There is still room for more of the assets of Lin and others to be seized or frozen if more people join the suit, they said.
Victims of the Weiguan Jinlong complex’s collapse are urged to call the city government’s legal service branch for help and information.
Additional reporting by CNA
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary