The death toll from the earthquake on Saturday last week rose to 62 yesterday as rescuers pulled nine bodies from the ruins of the Weiguan Jinlong complex in Tainan, while rain that began to fall at about 5pm brought with it lower temperatures.
Members of two families were among those retrieved from the disaster site in Yongkang District (永康), including two brothers, and a man and a woman whose identity has yet to be confirmed.
One of the families, surnamed Cheng (鄭), were from New Taipei City’s Sindian District and were spending the Lunar New Year holiday in an apartment on the 13th floor of Building G, which was owned by the sister of Cheng’s wife.
Photo: Johnson Lai, AP
Four members of the other family, surnamed Tsai (蔡), died in the quake. The father is the only survivor. Rescuers said that the grandmother of the family was holding tight to her granddaughter when their bodies were found.
As of 5:44pm, the Tainan City Government said 62 people are still believed to be under the rubble.
A woman whose relatives are among those still missing in the ruins yesterday accused the city of allowing a large excavator to be driven onto the remains of Building G to rescue survivors.
Photo: Chang Chia-ming, Taipei Times
She said that the additional weight of the excavator could further crush the bodies of the victims still under the rubble.
Tainan Mayor William Lai (賴清德) apologized to the relatives of the missing, saying the leader of a rescue team had mistakenly allowed the large piece of machinery to be moved into a cordoned-off area.
He said he had asked that the excavator be removed immediately.
However, Lai defended the use of large excavators, saying that they were being used to save lives by helping clear the way for search teams to find survivors and preserve the bodies of the deceased.
Structural engineers assisting the rescue teams at the site said that having an excavator on top of the building should not hurt any possible survivors or bodies because the building was supported by at least two beams and a wall.
Heavy rainfall did impede the search efforts later in the day and military personnel covered several locations with tarps in an attempt to prevent the rain from triggering further collapses inside the rubble.
Meanwhile, the electronics store chain TsannKuen Co (燦坤實業) denied that it had remodeled a store on the ground floor of the Weiguang Jinlong complex.
TsannKuen general manager Chang Yueh-long (張岳龍) showed reporters photographs of the store when they leased it as well as the contract banning the firm from making structural changes.
“We have rented the ground floor and the second floor since 2004 and never remodeled them,” Chang said.
There have been allegations that the landlord who owned the first four floors of buildings A, B and C in the complex had removed all of the beams and columns on those floors, which might have made the buildings less stable in an earthquake.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary