Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on Thursday announced billions of US dollars in special loans and investments in the Middle East as Beijing seeks to boost its economic ties and clout in the region.
Xi offered China’s financial support in an address to the Cairo-based Arab League after holding talks with Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi during his first tour to the Middle East as president.
Xi arrived in Cairo late on Wednesday from Saudi Arabia and yesterday was to travel to Iran, the last leg of his three-nation tour.
Xi offered US$55 billion in loans and investments to the Middle East.
“China will offer US$15 billion as special loans for industrial projects in the Middle East,” he told the Arab League.
Another US$10 billion would be provided as commercial loans to boost cooperation in the energy sector and an equivalent amount is to be offered as preferential loans, he said.
Xi also announced the establishment of a common investment fund worth US$20 billion for Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.
Beijing has long taken a backseat to other diplomatic players in the Middle East, but analysts say that the region is crucial to Xi’s signature foreign policy initiative — known as “One Belt, One Road” — touted as a revival of ancient Silk Road trade routes.
China, the world’s second-largest economy, also relies heavily on oil and gas imported from the energy-rich Middle East.
“We are not setting up proxies or building a sphere of influence in the region,” Xi told the Arab League.
Xi signed a slew of separate agreements with Cairo to undertake projects in sectors like electricity, transportation and infrastructure.
“The total investments in these projects would be US$15 billion. These projects will offer a new impetus to the economic development of Egypt,” he said in a joint statement with al-Sisi.
Al-Sisi said the agreements were the “best evidence of the two countries’ determination to improve their levels of cooperation.”
In an article in state-run newspaper al-Ahram ahead of his visit, Xi expressed China’s backing for Egypt running its affairs without outside interference.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats