Belgian authorities raised the terror alert to the highest level for Brussels and shut the city’s metro system as they warned of a “serious and imminent threat.”
“We have precise information that outlines the risk of an attack similar to the one that unfolded in Paris,” Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel told a press conference yesterday morning in Brussels. “It is a threat based on the theory that it would take place with arms and explosives, maybe even in several places and at the same time.”
People in Brussels should “avoid places where a lot of people come together like concerts, major events, train stations and airports, public transport,” the country’s OCAM national crisis center said on its Web site.
Photo: Reuters
Brussels already canceled a soccer match on Tuesday between the national team and Spain because of security concerns.
The Belgian capital, which houses most of the institutions of the EU, has been on alert since it emerged that at least three of the extremists involved in the attacks in Paris had been living in the city. Salah Abdeslam, the brother of one of the suicide bombers, is still at large.
Authorities late on Friday raised the terror alert for the Brussels region to 4, or “very serious.” The rest of the country remains at level 3. They advised the cancellation of Belgium’s league soccer games yesterday and bolstered the numbers of on-duty police and soldiers.
Photo: Reuters
The Brussels metro is to remain closed until at least this afternoon, Michel said, following a meeting of the national security council. The council is to meet again today to decide on the next steps.
Belgian Minister of Foreign Affairs Didier Reynders said security information indicated that “the threat is precise and imminent,” according to Belga newswire. “We are going to see what steps need to be taken and what we can communicate without disturbing the investigation.”
Belgian prosecutors on Friday charged a third suspect with involvement in the Friday attacks in Paris, following raids in Brussels on Thursday. The three, whose identities have not been disclosed, are being held on terrorism charges, prosecutors said.
The Brussels Intercommunal Transport Society (STIB), which runs public transit in the city, said in a statement on its Web site that it had closed the metro network following advice from the Interior Ministry.
“STIB will decide in consultation with the competent authorities and the police on a day-to-day basis if the stations should re-open,” the company said.
The company said the measures would also affect some trams.
Brussels’ historic main square, the Grand Place, was evacuated Friday morning along with several schools in Belgium as terror scares took hold and police continued their investigations.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats